Railroad Forums 

• A mid 1980's look at Conrail.

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#771968  by scharnhorst

I had a calender dateing back to 1993 or 1994 that showed 2 Conrail U30C or U33C's in service down in PA both units were useind in as Hump Power but according to the print telling about the 2 units it stated that they were pull from yead service to make a run on a train that was short on power?
 #772049  by Noel Weaver

scharnhorst wrote:I had a calender dateing back to 1993 or 1994 that showed 2 Conrail U30C or U33C's in service down in PA both units were useind in as Hump Power but according to the print telling about the 2 units it stated that they were pull from yead service to make a run on a train that was short on power?
Are you sure about the year? I have a copy of the "Locomotive Data" book from Conrail dated July, 1988 and it does not
show any remaining U30C's or U33C's in it so they were gone by that time. There were still the U36C's that were ex EL units
running around or stored someplace and the U23C's were still used in the yards mostly in Selkirk but also maybe Enola and I
think occasionally Buffalo.
I think all of the old Penn Central U class engines except for the 23's were gone by 1987. The ones that came after Conrail
in 1976 were still around but they did not last too many more years for the most part. Most of these models were clunkers
and were not missed for the most part.
Noel Weaver
 #772075  by scottychaos

scharnhorst wrote:I had a calender dateing back to 1993 or 1994 that showed 2 Conrail U30C or U33C's in service down in PA both units were useind in as Hump Power but according to the print telling about the 2 units it stated that they were pull from yead service to make a run on a train that was short on power?
The calendar might have been from 1994..but that doesnt mean the photos IN the calendar are from 1994..
If the photo in the calendar is undated, the year of the calendar itself is irrelevant..

Scot
 #772264  by scharnhorst

Noel Weaver wrote:
Are you sure about the year? I have a copy of the "Locomotive Data" book from Conrail dated July, 1988 and it does not
show any remaining U30C's or U33C's in it so they were gone by that time. There were still the U36C's that were ex EL units
running around or stored someplace and the U23C's were still used in the yards mostly in Selkirk but also maybe Enola and I
think occasionally Buffalo.
I think all of the old Penn Central U class engines except for the 23's were gone by 1987. The ones that came after Conrail
in 1976 were still around but they did not last too many more years for the most part. Most of these models were clunkers
and were not missed for the most part.
Noel Weaver

I stand corrected they were U36C's in the photo of the calendar dated 1994.