Railroad Forums 

• Cab signal pickup on LH of big GE

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#630190  by train2

I was walking past CSX GE 7390, a former Conrail engine complete with red marker lights. I noticed the unit had cab signal pick ups on the rear of the unit, in addition to those on the front.

The unit also had Loco Speed Limiter equipment.

I have not noticed if other Conrail units had this set-up as well. I understand the need for the pick ups on the rear of local units, like GPs that might have an occasion to run both ways on local runs.

Was this standard practice on CRs big power? Did CR have a cab signal display on the back wall of the cab?
 #630301  by amtrakhogger

Having a second pickup bar would be a small additional cost for a unit equipped with cab signals/ATC, which itself is an expensive option, but you gain the operational flexibility by having it installed. Secondly, most locomotives only have one cab signal display (ADU) for going forward or backward.
 #630419  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

Worked 1990-1998 on CR Phila/Hbg divisions as conductor. I never saw any units with cab signal pickup bars on the long end. Never saw any CR units with cab signal displays on the back wall either. That is a rare unit you saw.