Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Forum

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#586826  by ROKK ISLAND

No offense to anyone but I was just curious why the Conrail Forum is not in the Fallen Flags section? Long live Big Blue! :-D
 #587262  by atsf sp

It is still considered a terminal railroad but as mentioned owned by NS and CSX in a joint-venture.
 #587400  by ROKK ISLAND

Thanx for the info. I thought that all of the actual railroading system wide was split between NS and CSX. Do they still use Conrail power on these terminal lines actually operating as a terminal line with their own employees as well? Regards
 #587554  by atsf sp

ROKK ISLAND wrote:Thanx for the info. I thought that all of the actual railroading system wide was split between NS and CSX. Do they still use Conrail power on these terminal lines actually operating as a terminal line with their own employees as well? Regards
I'm not sure about Detroit, Phily and Jersey but I would guess that they are not conrail engines. Just the operator. I'm in Boston so we used to have conrail here but since the takeover everything has been painted CSX but we still get ex-conrail SD60M/I and CW40-8s. We also had an ex-Conrail GP40-2. But they do not operate boston.
 #587996  by lvrr325

No Conrail power, but NS did repaint some Conrail cabooses in NS red with full CR markings; another with all windows plated over is also lettered Conrail, but painted grey, for use as a "Shoving Platform" ...

Shared Assets are the portions too valuable to both roads to let one or the other have entirely to themselves.
 #589365  by keeper1616

But the Conrail corporation still exists and still owns trackage.
 #589392  by lvrr325

It exists as a wholly-owned subsidary of CSX and NS, controlling major portions of track and yards in several areas. Which means it's not a shortline, it's not a tourist line, and it's not a club. I don't see why that's hard to figure out.
 #589402  by GOLDEN-ARM

keeper1616 wrote:But the Conrail corporation still exists and still owns trackage.

Let Conrail be LEHIGH VALLEY , and this won't be an issue......... :P
 #589703  by atsf sp

But CSX and NS still do operate Conrail engines. Without the ex-conrail engines they would lose a lot of motive power. All of CSX's CW40-8 and C40-8s would be gone the 2000 series GP38s along with the 4000 series GP40s and the SD80MACs, SD60I/M. And NS runs CW40-8s, SD50, SD60s, and GP40-2s. Plus the trackage is still owned and is Conrail. It is surviving.
Last edited by atsf sp on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #589711  by Noel Weaver

Conrail still has its own employees and puts out an employee timetable for their trackage as well.
Noel Weaver
 #589756  by rob216

Just the other day in Philly, I saw a brand new hi-rail truck in one of the shared assets yards with the Conrail logo. So they still are putting the blue on some things.
 #590543  by conrail6055

Conrail, while jointly owned by the two parent roads is still a Corporation. Conrail is controlled by a functional Board of Directors, appointed by the parent companies. Conrail maintains its own fleet of SAA power, hires and pays its own employees, and maintains its own railroad infrastructure. Conrail is in itself, a railroad in its own right.

~Kris
 #590610  by charlie6017

Well put, Kris!

And with that, we will bid this thread adieu............