Railroad Forums 

• Philadelphia - Conrail Pier 122 sign gone.

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#573933  by Arrestmespi

yup, the pier 122, 124 are being redeveloped pier 122 is becoming a terminal for growmark(fertilizer company). THey will be demolishing the ore cranes very soon
 #579057  by Jers2709

Philadelphia-Ships loaded with iron ore pellets would dock at the pier and one of the 4 independently operated unloaders would scoop the ore pellets out of the belly of the ships and load them into ore jennies for shipment. It was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1951.
 #587196  by Sir Ray

Just wondering if this is Pier 122 that we're talking about, yes? Live Local view
Also figured it'd be nice to add this RR Picture Archive Link - did any of the posters in this thread have anything to do with that album (I didn't, but found it interesting).
Man, I knew ore docks often had steep grades, but that ore dock grade looks like old Tyco Trestle set steep...
 #587751  by rswinnerton

Ray,
That's my RRPA album. The jig is up! The Conrail Historical Society was allowed by the Port Authority to remove the sign. It took 4 days of work to remove the sign as it's pretty big. It's 12' by 18'. The sign will be preserved by the CRHS and when we eventually find a permanent home, it will be put on display.
Russ