Railroad Forums 

• Chessie Pool/Run Through Power on Conrail Before CSX?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#567151  by Earle Baldwin

Prior to CSX's official commencement of operations in 1986, other than the Elizabethport freights, did Chessie System units appear in any run through/pool power operations on Conrail?

Thanks in advance.

Earle
 #579324  by lvrr325

Several trains were quite common with CSX power, one was the coal train for Solvay NY - when it came off a mine on NS, it had NS power; when it came from a mine on CSX, it had all sorts of CSX power. Even a road slug once, in a GP30 carbody.

Those units on the PGAL or CSAL occasionally didn't get turned right back, I caught an ALCG with fairly new CSX units on it - ironically they picked up an SD45 core enroute to take from Mountaintop PA to Hornell - a former CSX unit itself. Something you'll probably never see again, since Sayre is NS territory now and no longer a through route.