Railroad Forums 

• Bustleton Branch Trains

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#553139  by scotty269

I'm trying to get a list of which trains serve the Bustleton Branch/Industrial Track in Northeast Philly, and what industries are served. My father worked at the Penn Maid warehouse in the 90s and used to have frequent deliveries via rail. I also saw the grade crossing at Red Lion Rd has had its crossing arms removed.
 #553315  by scotty269

I heard a freight go across the Red Lion Rd crossing around 9:50, and judging by the position of the switch it went to the right, cutting across the Penn Maid driveway.
 #553384  by Sir Ray

Speaking of which, is Conrail still the service provider on the Bustleton Branch?
I remember seeing some discussion (on the web - this time, Rumorpace was not the culprit) that a Shortline operator was to take over, but googling for follow-up info seems to be a dry well? Anyone else remember that rumor?

(Another NE Phillly railroad rumor from a decade ago, this one definitely Rumorpace based, was the resurrection of the Kensington & Tacony railroad - looking that tidbit up on the web brings up a post I wrote years ago on this board, and so we have a vicious cycle...)
 #557753  by BuddSilverliner269

Hello sir ray, conrail only brings the freights from Frankford Jct to Grant Avenue and interchanges with the East Penn Railways. East Penn keeps the locomotive when not in use behind the strip mall that houses the Walmart on the Blvd on Blue Grass Road I believe the name is. Its ashmae I live not to far from there and cant think of the name. In terms of customers, I have a book that list customers but I will need to find it. When I do I will post.
 #557860  by scotty269

The locomotive is at GPS coords (40.083153,-75.02085). Click here to view it on google maps. Any info on train times would be much appreciated.
 #557987  by BuddSilverliner269

Ok so I was right, it is Blue Grass road. Hey A1 did you ever check near the end of the line near Red Lion Road the old Conrail SW switcher. I have seen it just sitting there when driving by but yuo can definately see it on the google map you posted. Its the Allied Tube and Conduit switcher.
 #558264  by Sir Ray

So East Penn is working the end of the Bustleton Branch (which I thought was the only section w/ active customers nowadays anyway)? That's pretty cool...
 #1355352  by Gone2long

Ok so I have been trolling around the board learning what I can and have this to add to this thread. I was over to see PRL #2202 and it appears to be in the early stages of vandalism as several engine bay doors were openned and it was starting to get tagged as the photo below shows. The tracks were pretty rusty and the Loco seems to be leaking pretty heavily but what do I know this might be normal. From the little I've found this line was seeing a 3 day week schedule but I now see that the Hostess Bakery that is right next to this unit is no longer operational and the line of box cars in Google Earth are no longer present and the only other game on the line north of here seems to be Allied tube and conduit and from what I can see on Google Earth they have a switcher on premise does that sound about right? The track does cross the street from where this is parked but I cannot tell if the industry there is using it's service as it has a bay door that is shut where the tracks enter. Anybody have any new info on the life of this Loco?

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q80/ ... eqlapg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1356128  by ChrisE

As of October 2015, Allied Tube and Conduit is closing their Northeast Philadelphia operation, leaving the future of this branch past Grant Ave. in question. I live not far from the branch and drive by ATC daily to work. I last heard 2202 cross Red Lion Rd. about 10 AM 2 months ago. I no longer see ATC 8635 from Red Lion Rd. I wonder if it's been moved further towards the building or off the property? A side note, I've seen tank cars several times on the siding next to the spur that leads to ATC. My brother's seen them too on the siding off of Blue Grass Rd. I'm curious and a bit worried about what's going to happen to this branch and the ex-CR GP10.
 #1363598  by Gone2long

I've noticed a bright yellow paint job on the tracks at grant ave to the south it appears to be a de-railer, was this always there or is this recently placed here indicating that there no longer is an active customer up the branch line? PRL #2202 is still at it's parking location and have'nt seen the switcher, at least since my last visit to it they have secured the engine bay doors and no more tagging is evident.
 #1363647  by ChrisE

Gone2long wrote:I've noticed a bright yellow paint job on the tracks at grant ave to the south it appears to be a de-railer, was this always there or is this recently placed here indicating that there no longer is an active customer up the branch line? PRL #2202 is still at it's parking location and have'nt seen the switcher, at least since my last visit to it they have secured the engine bay doors and no more tagging is evident.
The de-railer's been there since I can remember, but it's easy to miss if you aren't looking for it (even with the yellow paint).
 #1367460  by ChrisE

Update: My brother spotted the GP10 running light power along Grant Ave. It crossed Grant Ave. and continued through the yard. When he went around to Ashton Rd. crossing, he found that they are doing MOW work near the crossing. The CSAO local was at the crossing as well (I believe it is called FJ-33) with NS 5284 and NS 2103 for power with a boxcar (uncoupled) and tank car in tow. This was between 4:30-5:00 PM. I drove by Bluegrass Rd. around 9 PM and saw that they are now storing tanker cars on the branch around the airport perimeter behind the Wal-Mart. 2202 was parked in its usual spot. My guess is that ESPN now switches the beverage distributor as well as shunting tank cars onto the branch for storage. At least it's looking like it'll be around for awhile yet.
 #1367668  by Gone2long

Thanks for the update Chris! What do you think will happen to ATC #8635? Haven't been able to get any photo's or video and now that AT&C is closed what happens to these switchers do they get picked up by the industry that buys AT&C or does it go to auction?
 #1367724  by ChrisE

Gone2long wrote:Thanks for the update Chris! What do you think will happen to ATC #8635? Haven't been able to get any photo's or video and now that AT&C is closed what happens to these switchers do they get picked up by the industry that buys AT&C or does it go to auction?
I honestly don't know. I haven't seen it since around the time they announced they were closing the factory. I was seeing trucks going in there for a while still, but now it's pretty much empty. They're moving the offices down the street to their TJ Cope manufacturing facility, but that place does not receive rail service (though with a little work, they probably could if they wanted it). It could have been moved indoors while they wait to see what to do with it. I know that ATC has a large facility with rail network in Chicago, so they could transfer it out there, or they could auction it off/scrap it. Time will tell, I guess.
 #1371313  by Gone2long

I just drove by the NE airport and there was about 20 tank cars on the line along the Roosevelt Blvd is there really an industry on the line that would require so many tank cars? Or do they store them up there for some reason?