Railroad Forums 

• Baxter Water Treatment Plant track

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#525339  by cdruhl

Until recently, I had not seen any evidence of activity on the old water treatment plant track -- not since CSAO FJ-10 was there back in early 2005 or so. Dirt had covered the rails at the State Road crossing and the line presumed dead. I expected to find the track removed before much longer.

A week ago or so, I was going to the boat slip at the foot of Linden Avenue and noticed that the rails had been cleaned up by the crossing and a tamper was sitting on the track inside the plant boundaries. I saw new ballast and nice looking bumper blocks around back.

Very strange!!

#525469  by GOLDEN-ARM

This might be remotely interesting, had you decided to include a location, and included why we would care..........

#525603  by JimBoylan

Formerly the Philadelphia (Pa.) Water Department's Torresdale Water Treatment Plant, Tacony State Rd. & Linden St., reached by a short branch off the NorthEast Corridor between Holmesburg Jct. and Torresdale. It has a grade crossing with Tacony State Rd. on the South side of Linden St.
 #525610  by cdruhl

Thanks, Jim

Many might not know this of this industrial track, but it was known for some nice, once a week (typically on Monday from what I recall), photo opportunities or just to catch a local freight.

Link to some shots of train going into water plant thanks to John Almeida. This was a nice spot to catch NS, CSX, or Conrail power closes up as the crews would often sit just short of the crossing for a bit, either waiting for the plant employee to open the gate or to each lunch:

http://www.trainweb.org/phillynrhs/RPOTW040808.html

Many of us who grew up in Northeast Philadelphia, PA, even 30 years ago recall the plethora of industrial freight action that once was available to enjoy: The old K&T (Kensington and Tacony) Branch, Bleigh Street Yard, action around Frankford Junction, Bustleton Branch, etc., the many industrial tracks that crossed State Road from the old PRR corridor between Bridesburg and Bristol, PA. Little by little, these have disappeared ... and the frequent chlorine shipments by rail to the water plant seemed to be the last to go, soon after the Bensalem Branch to the north was severed when Amtrak cut the switch out when they changed over to concrete ties on #1 Track.

The dangerous nature of chlorine, in part, prompted water plants to change over to other chemicals shipped in by truck and the Baxter plant converted in early 2005. Thus, the thought of this very short, perhaps quarter mile long track, coming back to life might be interesting to some.

#527089  by BuddSilverliner269

Hey, you 2 are not alone in seeing the rails being uncovered and maybe used? I live by state and grant and havent seen anything in there for at least a year?Hopefully this is good news? Maybe the track needs some work in the plant before they can start getting cars again?

#527136  by cdruhl

The last time I saw any action there was in early 2005 when a lone tack car that was sitting along side the park's edge was removed. I visit Pleasant Hill Park often -- saw the line unused from early 2005 on until I saw the trackwork being done a few weeks ago. I remember when they'd take three or four tank cars in there once a week.

If you do a "local.live.com" view of the plant, three tracks once entered the plant. Two of these tracks are severed and bumper blocks are installed on the ends -- the third track seems to be intact but I can't tell for sure. Limited view from the old fish hatcheries as well but one can clearly see new ballast and weed removal work -- plus the dirt over the rails on the river side of State Road crossing was cleaned out and flangeways appeared once again.

The line did sit and decay for about three years so it makes sense that it would need work for reactivation -- I kept watch on the switch to #1 Track on Amtrak just at the Linden Avenue bridge -- Amtrak never took it out so I gathered that the line was simply deactivated.

From what I read, Philly Water converted the plant's primary purification chemical from Chlorine to Sodium Hypochloride -- the latter being moved in by truck and hence no more rail service. Folks were concerned about the hazards of Chlorine and train derailments. However, I can't help but wonder if the high price of deisel fuel is making truck delivery more expensive than rail delivery in some cases, especially in the quanitities needed there. This fuel cost situation could bring some old lines back to life.

#527367  by GOLDEN-ARM

Now, I'm with ya! This place was served from Morrisville, or from South Philly? I'm looking at some old ZTS charts, trying to find out where it's cars came from......

#527475  by cdruhl

That is a good question!! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer and don't want to speculate.

I know that CSAO train #FJ-10 switched the plant.

#527534  by cdruhl

Yes, indeed, Frankford Junction -- hence the "FJ" in FJ-10 ... typically north up from Frankford on the Ought Track (Never "Track 0" in old Pennsy talk, from what I've been told -- at "Holmes" we always called it the "ought track" -- sometimes simply just the "naught" or the "ought.") to old Bleigh Street yard and then railroad east (north) on Track #1 out of "Holmes."

... The train backed into a siding off Track #1 just south of the Linden Avenue bridge then pulled head-end first, across State Road into the water plant -- where a passing siding exists for run-around moves to switch the plant-- then they'd back out of the plant, cross State Road, then reverse and head east back onto the mainline towards Grundy (Bristol, PA area).

I've heard that FJ10 or whatever it is known now will sometimes return west on Track #1 back to "Holmes" and then onto the old "Ought Track" back to Frankford.

From where did the Chlorine cars originate before arriving at Frankford Junction?? In the old days (PRR/PC/early Conrail), I had heard from the north (such as Morrisville) but that was before through-freight was esentially removed from the Amtrak corridor. Nowadays, I'd have to guess either South Philly, or up from the south and over to Pavonia, then classified and run back to Frankford Junction. Maybe even down from Morrisville on the old Bordentown Secondary -- now RiverLINE -- to Pavonia and in from there. They take a round-about way through Trenton to get from Morrisville over to Bordendown and down towards Pavonia. Perhaps somebody knows.