Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive Paint Schemes

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#33683  by WANF-11--->Chaser

Hello,

Does anyone know why Conrail used small logos on their GP 9,10, and 15s? Basically the "lower numbered" locomotive models.

I know that some of the early ALCOs also had small logos. Maybe this is related?

Thanks.

Dave

#33688  by scottychaos

good question!
(and I dont know the answer! ;) sorry!)
but I always wondered about that too..
and of course, there is always an exception!
http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/emd/gp7/cr5833cf.jpg

and here is the "small logo" that Dave is taking about..
this appeared on nearly all the GP7,8,9,10's..

http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/emd/gp9/cr7479cr.jpg

and wow! check this out!
a GP10 in the Quality scheme..retired in 1997!
I had no idea any lasted that long..I though they were all gone by the end of the 80's..
http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/emd/gp10/cr7579qer.jpg

even the GP15-1's had the small logo..which doesnt really make sense since the carbody isnt any smaller than any other GP..
neither are the GP7-10's for that matter..

Scot

#33692  by LCJ

My guess: louvres and air intakes made it difficult to apply the normal-sized logo stickers.

#33695  by scottychaos

LCJ wrote:My guess: louvres and air intakes made it difficult to apply the normal-sized logo stickers.
no, that doesent seem likely..
there is planty of room for a normal sized logo, it wouldnt get in the way of anything..
and that one photo of the GP7 with the full logo shows it fits fine..
and especially the GP15's..
their carbody is essentially identical to any of the GP30, GP35, GP38 etc type engines..and yet they all had the small logo..

there is nothing at all preventing a full-size logo..
Scot

#33782  by WANF-11--->Chaser

Maybe they just had a ton of small logos left over from the early days and just decided to use them on the "small" number models? :o)

#33898  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#38242  by nolifeCRchaser

Not all of the GP-15-1's had the small Conrail logo.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=49998

The small logos were probably placed on the lower horse power engines, such as the SW type units. The logos on the GP-15-1 are the same size as the logos on the all of the smaller engines.

#39629  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#39632  by LCJ

The GP15-1s came from EMD with the smaller logos. It must have been in the order specs -- either in error or purposely.

#88271  by blocktruck

The smaller logo was for switchers. A GP-15 was a switcher,at least on CONRAIL.
 #968246  by scharnhorst

as stated in a post above could it be passable that Conrail was using up what they had in stock for small logos? After all they were retiring a lot of small ALCO and EMD switcher units that never saw blue paint.
 #968257  by Eliphaz

scharnhorst wrote:as stated in a post above could it be passable that Conrail was using up what they had in stock for small logos? After all they were retiring a lot of small ALCO and EMD switcher units that never saw blue paint.
are you suggesting that the logos were decals, rather than paint masks?
 #968265  by scottychaos

Eliphaz wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:as stated in a post above could it be passable that Conrail was using up what they had in stock for small logos? After all they were retiring a lot of small ALCO and EMD switcher units that never saw blue paint.
are you suggesting that the logos were decals, rather than paint masks?
He might have meant "small stencils"..they obviously were not decals..the logos were painted on..
but they must have been masked somehow..

and im not so sure about the "smaller logos were for switchers" theory, as it relates to the small logo on the GP's..Did Conrail really consider the rebuilt GP8's and GP10's to be switchers? I really dont think they did..I saw them on "road freights" all the time in the mid-80's..and I also dont believe that the GP15's were meant as switchers..saw them on road freights all the time too...but never saw a "real" switcher (like a EMD SW-something) mixed in with road power..ever..so I dont think the GP7,9,8,10,15 were ever classed as switchers by early Conrail..they were clearly used as road power all the time...So that doesnt explain the small logo on them..

Scot
 #968316  by bluedash2

Conrail used the smaller logo on their smaller HP units. Everything that had that small logo was less than 2000 HP. (GP15 is only 1500 HP). Incidently, only 1 GP15 -the 1654- got the regular size logo in the early 90's with a white frame stripe and the newer white #boards. There are plenty of pics around of that unit as PRR/NS 1427, now an LTEX unit and repainted but still retains the 1427 cab number. It spent most of it's NS life running in the South Jersey Shared Assets Area. Only the smaller HP units got that smaller logo identifying it as such. The good news for finding pics is that NS kept it in CR paint the whole time.

Re:

#968318  by bluedash2

no, that doesent seem likely..
there is planty of room for a normal sized logo, it wouldnt get in the way of anything..
and that one photo of the GP7 with the full logo shows it fits fine..
and especially the GP15's..
their carbody is essentially identical to any of the GP30, GP35, GP38 etc type engines..and yet they all had the small logo..

there is nothing at all preventing a full-size logo..
Scot[/quote]
Nice pic! Remember though (after reading my last post) the GP30/35's were over 2000 HP. As were the Alcos. Obvoiusly there were some exceptions like the GP7 pic and the 1654 I mentioned. (what else is new on a RR! lol)