Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Zone Track Spot (ZTS) Maps

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#32030  by RDG 1519

I have noticed several CONRAIL ZTS books on Ebay and am wondering what they are specifically.

My interest would be in Philadelphia area track and siding drawings showing customer names etc. This would be similar to the Reading Shippers Guide for example that showed customers and routing and in the case of Road Logs the spot.

Which volume year has the best info on early CONRAIL in Philly and Camden areas? How do you identify them as many areas and volumes seem to exist. Thanks for all the help in advance. RDG 1519
 #32200  by LCJ

RDG 1519 wrote:I have noticed several CONRAIL ZTS books on Ebay and am wondering what they are specifically.
If you're asking what ZTS stands for, it's Zone Track Spot. Conrail operating divisions were divided up into numeric zones, within which every track was assigned a number. Also, every spot, or location for spotting a customer's cars, was numbered. Specifically, ZTS was a collection of maps and a system for identifying every spotting location on the railroad.
RDG 1519 wrote:My interest would be in Philadelphia area track and siding drawings showing customer names etc. This would be similar to the Reading Shippers Guide for example that showed customers and routing and in the case of Road Logs the spot.

Which volume year has the best info on early CONRAIL in Philly and Camden areas? How do you identify them as many areas and volumes seem to exist. Thanks for all the help in advance. RDG 1519
ZTS books were identified by the division number. Actually, it was originally the region and division numbers combined. Eastern Region was 1, and Philadelphia Division was 0 (I think). Later years, after the regions were eliminated, Philadelphia was Division 10.

So look for a book for Division 10. I don't recall how the zones were numbered, but maybe someone else may recall that. There shouldn't be much difference from year to year. Most of the maps were pretty much complete by 1990 or so, If I recall correctly.

#32490  by LCJ

I checked out the books on ebay, and none of them is the one you seek, I believe. These are from when the Philadeplhia Divsion had grown ('96 and later) to encompass the eastern portion of the former Harrisburg Div. (also the Baltimore Zones), as well as the former New Jersey Division.

The descriptions are pretty clear -- just keep an eye out for the ones with the zones you're seeking. They have to be out there, and are surfacing in the marketplace with some regularity.

#32559  by LCJ

fglk wrote:ZTS Map Books are rilly set up as Maintaince Hand Books info provided in these books are:

Rail Weaght
Number of ties replaced
Railgindeing dates
Ditching
Ballest
Rail Speed
Fiber Optic Cable Locations

Locaion of Crossovers
Location of Signals
Location of Defect Detectors
What you are describing are not ZTS maps, but track charts.

#35456  by Otto Vondrak

Here is a link to some Rochester, NY-area ZTS maps that date from 1987 or so. Really good information if you are a model railroader or curious as to track layout for certain areas.

http://24.169.115.143/rochesterrailf/csx.htm#maps

-otto-

#64199  by trainmastertim

Would there be a link for axcessing eairler ZTS maps like from 1976 for Indiana

#64999  by Otto Vondrak

ZTS maps are a Conrail invention, and I dont think they really existed until 1980 or so, after Conrail removed a lot of excess trackage. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

-=otto=-

#65068  by LCJ

You are correct, Otto.

This was a project that extended out through the '80s. Teams went all around the system drawing these maps. I was working in Baltimore in '84-'87 -- we helped the ZTS team to get all of the trackage correct.
 #67937  by gravelyfan

RDG 1519 wrote:I have noticed several CONRAIL ZTS books on Ebay and am wondering what they are specifically.

My interest would be in Philadelphia area track and siding drawings showing customer names etc. This would be similar to the Reading Shippers Guide for example that showed customers and routing and in the case of Road Logs the spot.
I have access to a Phil/S Jersey ZTS book. Are there specific lines or locations you are looking for, I could probably make copies if it's not too extensive.

CSX has created a series of hand drawn maps, circa 1997, for the Shared Assets territory, and I presume the portions of Conrail that were acquired by CSX. These are referred to as "Beavers" maps for the gentleman who drew them all. They don't have spot location info, but do generally identify all side tracks by customer name. I don't know if they have reached the railroad collectible market yet.

#77612  by Engineer

The CSX designed "Yellow Book" has popped up from time to time on ebay. Its not bad, doesn't give spots or real technical detail but show complete track/road diagrams with adjacent properties.....
I have one, but am not parting with it :wink:

#80098  by nessman

Otto Vondrak wrote:Here is a link to some Rochester, NY-area ZTS maps that date from 1987 or so. Really good information if you are a model railroader or curious as to track layout for certain areas.

http://24.169.115.143/rochesterrailf/csx.htm#maps
IP addresses tend to change. The correct URL in my tagline...