Railroad Forums 

• Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Train

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#421469  by JADes718

Does anyone remember a National Geographic Movie Called "Love Those Trains"? In the movie they talk about a train run by Southern Pacific and Conrail, which takes fresh fruit and vegetables from southern California and runs them straight through to some place in Brooklyn. Does any body have any information on the operation of that train and the place in Brooklyn?

#421474  by pennsy

Hi,

I taped that episode on videotape. All reefers, and it winds up in Busch Terminal Market, Brooklyn. They even open a box of fresh lettuce and show how fresh it is. From there it goes by truck to the various Green Grocer shops and supermarkets. You even see some of the ritzy restauranteers representatives shopping for the exclusive Manhattan and Queens posh restaurants and night clubs.

#421549  by shlustig

If you are referring to the National Geographic show from the 1980's, the train on our side ran as PXSE (Perishable Express SElkirk). There was also a PXPI to Conway. Both trains were scheduled daily.

New York cars from PXSE were relayed to SEOP (SElkirk /Oak Point), and a yard job would take cars to the perishable market at Hunts Point in the South Bronx.

Any cars for the Brooklyn Terminal Market were handled by a different job from Oak Point over the Hell Gate Bridge and down through Fremont and East New York.

#421566  by Otto Vondrak

I'm thinking that any reefers would go to Hunt's Point in the Bronx... when was the last time Bush Terminal got cars? Hunt's Point is the major produce and grocery terminal for New York, switched daily out of Oak Point Yard.

-otto-

#421992  by JADes718

I can't remember, what type of cars did they use PFE refers, or something else?

also is Hunt's Point and Bush Terminal still active and who operates it now?