Railroad Forums 

• CR Locos with old Numbers

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#24373  by 9C1LT1

Hello All,

What ever happened to those GP-40-2's (I think thats what they were) that NS painted in Conrail Quality with the old White numbers? Does NS still repaint shared assets engines in Conrail Blue?

-Barry

#24813  by nolifeCRchaser

The former Conrail engines repainted by NS were the GP-38's(NS's 2900 series engines). The GP-38's were retired during 2003 and sit in deadlines scattered all across the NS system. The Spirit of Conrail GP-38 was one that was repainted by NS and I had heard that it was being cut up at the Juniata Locomotive Shops. A few of the former Conrail GP-38's were rebuilt to GP-38-2's and now are in the 5500 series with NS black paint. NS no longer paints any engines in Conrail blue and Conrail Shared Assets gets whatever engines come their way. Some are still in Conrail blue, the rest are either in CSX or NS paint(mostly CSX in North Jersey). The Conrail SD-70's were also factory painted in Conrail Quality paint with the white numbers. They were also numbered for NS when they were painted.
The GP-38's were great engines and when they were retired along with the former Conrail B23-7's, it left our crews in the Northeast in a power shortage, as they were cab signal equipped and the cab signals are needed in order to run on certain lines. There were days when we could not go out to do any work, because none of the engines had cab signals.

#74787  by conrail6055

"The Spirit of Conrail GP-38 was one that was repainted by NS and I had heard that it was being cut up at the Juniata Locomotive Shops"

ENTIRELY not true! This beauty currently resides in Enola, PA where she has been stored since September of '03