Railroad Forums 

• Conrail Blue E or F unit(s) at McDonald, Ohio

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#321921  by scottychaos

If the photo was taken in 1979, then maybe..
but the photo was taken in 2006, so definately not.

but yeah, that does like a blue E-unit..
(and the paint is also FAR too pristine and clean for it to be Conrail! ;)

Conrail only had 3 E-units into the 1990's, the three for the "Office Car Special" train, and they are all accounted for.
No surviving Conrail F-unit is going look that clean in 2006..

so, it is a Blue cab unit, looks like an E.
but definately not Conrail..
30 years too late for that.

Scot

#321935  by scottychaos

In fact, that unit is SO clean it looks like Larry may have just painted it for the new owner..whoever that may be..

anyone know any railroad getting some new F or E units?
The Susquehanna E-units just went to Larry, but they arrived after that photo was taken, and they wouldnt be repainted this soon anyway.

Scot

#322002  by mainetrain

as a side note, and if I recall correctly, the only Blue F unit under Conrail was 1648, which was later renumbered to 1792. I have a pic somewhere of it I took on a cold snowy night when it was still 1648

#322117  by U-Haul

The E9Au's are probably safe from the scrapper's torch

#322191  by GOLDEN-ARM

I think the dates, CLEARLY visible, in the caption, let you know these weren't Conrail units. Use Dogpile, or Google, and do your homework, U-Haul.......................... :P

#323014  by NorfolkSouthernSean

Just for comparison purposes. That unit at Larry's is definately in Metra Blue.

#323205  by keeper1616

NorfolkSouthernSean wrote:Just for comparison purposes. That unit at Larry's is definately in Metra Blue.
I'm not sure if it's Metra Blue - but it sure isn't Conrail Blue :-D

#323296  by Engineer James

Now, I see more CR blue, than Metra Blue. Almost maybe an old MARC E8 blue.....

#323615  by Bryanjones

to clear things up, these units are not former Conrail or former Marc or Metra units. They are former BN E9's which were sold to various dealers after retirement. The blue unit is one of atleast 4 E9's which the Nashville & Eastern RR picked up several years ago and originally intended to power the new Nashville area commuter railroad which operates over the NE. However, a couple years ago several former Amtrak F40PH's were picked up when these units started hitting the block and the E units were sold. 3 units were sold to another dealer by the name of Ozark Mountain Railcar and eventually resold to LTE. These units traveled through Louisville,KY a few months ago enroute to LTE and a friend was able to get shots of all 3 units. 1 unit was repainted into a very light blue paintscheme while the other units retained the old BN paint. The blue unit is #9917 and you can see a side view of it at http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=481834

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#323638  by Engineer James

And right behind is one of her BN sisters....

#350134  by NJT4207

That guy Larry is the same guy who bought the NYS&W E-8's.