Railroad Forums 

• EMD GP15-1s for sale

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#274772  by myfavscr

In this months issue of Trains Magazine I read that Norfolk Southern
will be selling off most of the 58 GP15-1s it acquired in the Conrail
split. No mention if any of them would be sold for scrap.

#275819  by General

That's just great. As it is NS is very short on four axle units and they are looking to rid themselves of more engines. The GP15-1's are good strong little engines. It doesn't make sense to get rid of these engines, they run fine. Then again NS will do anything to save a few pennies. How much are these GP15-1's going for? I may someone who is interested in purchasing one or two.

#275887  by BrianM

They are all bids. Not sure on the starting bid amount.

Brian

#276097  by pablo

So....where do you bid? Is there a site for it?

Dave Becker

#276467  by Engineer James

I need numbers....... asap.

#276563  by pablo

Nah, just looked there, and I didn't see anything. Sorry.

Dave Becker

#276613  by crazy_nip

General wrote:That's just great. As it is NS is very short on four axle units and they are looking to rid themselves of more engines. The GP15-1's are good strong little engines. It doesn't make sense to get rid of these engines, they run fine. Then again NS will do anything to save a few pennies. How much are these GP15-1's going for? I may someone who is interested in purchasing one or two.
that dont mean anything, the reason they are doing this is likely because the lease is up and to renew it would not make sense

they are rebuilding alot of gp38x units into gp38-2/3's so they will be fine

#276775  by BrianM

If I remember correctly, those GP15-1's are the ones that CSX traded to EMD (along with a few other type units) for the SD70M's.

Brian

#280399  by Tadman

They will probably be very good power for a shortline or industrial. If I recall, the GP15 is a GP9 power assembly rebuilt to newer specs in the 70's, meaning a very easy to maintain unit.
 #280403  by amtrakhogger

That one pix of that lease pool GP-15 looks like an ex CNW
unit (Hint the bell in the nose.)

Also NS supposedly will keep a handful of GP15's due to the fact that
they have LSL for use on the NEC.

dc

#281508  by tahawus84

You gonna buy one james :wink:

#281588  by GOLDEN-ARM

Engineer James wrote:I need numbers....... asap.
Get a "boost" in your allowance, James?................. :P

#281889  by Engineer James

Golden, No, just wondering if a certain one was on the chopping block.... grandpa's last run, last locomotive was a GP15-1 EX-CR #1616, Now CSX #1536, however, #1536 was on lease to NS recently..... so got scared.