Railroad Forums 

• Current Conrail Operations?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#248526  by railroader9731

does conrail still operate any of the following: locos, freight, passenger, office mow?

#248545  by scottychaos

I think they still have one loco freight passenger office mow still operating.
odd looking thing though..especially with the office on it.
but it cuts grass well.

Scot

#248550  by LCJ

Ha!

#248561  by Engineer James

Anyone know what piece it is?

#248562  by LCJ

Engineer James wrote:Anyone know what piece it is?
Anyone have a clue as what this question is seeking?

#248580  by charlie6017

(does conrail still operate any of the following: locos, freight, passenger, office mow?)

I tried to make this post less ambiguous by changing the title and all, but I'm scratching my head on this.............

#248596  by Engineer James

Any MOW equip... or Office cars.

#249087  by Bay Head Local

i know this is a dumb question, but im going to ask anyway, just when did conrail go out of business or stop operating trains?

#249090  by LCJ

Bay Head Local wrote:i know this is a dumb question, but im going to ask anyway, just when did conrail go out of business or stop operating trains?
Um -- again -- go here for the answer: Conrail Corporate Site

There's a page with a history of the company. Conrail did not go out of business. Conrail Shared Assets is jointly owned by NS and CSX as you find on the site.

#249471  by keeper1616

Bay Head Local wrote:i know this is a dumb question, but im going to ask anyway, just when did conrail go out of business or stop operating trains?
They still do. They are now owned by NS and CSX.

#249778  by M.R. Snell

LCJ - Maybe he was referring to the before & after Conrail presence. Although it is true that CSAO is still Conrail, other than the signs & the MW equipment (mainly road vehicles) it's hard to discern that they're (Conrail) really still there.

Last time I was up in Jersey all the power was CSX/NS paint & what few cabeese were still around were succumbing to the "flatcar shoving platforms" in grey with NYC marks.

Few years ago even the Conrail PD got split up & now they're CSX or NS PD, even on the radio.

I can tell you that if I wasn't looking & from hearing radio base stations answering I would have thought CR was completely gone in north Jersey......

Don't know what Philly's like, but Detroit (closer to home) is pretty much the same way.........

Just my thoughts.

-Matt

#249794  by LCJ

Indeed - what they now call Conrail is a mere shadow of its original self, with many of the administrative and support functions peeled away over the last few years as deemed appropriate by the owners. Conrail Shared Assets exists merely to handle local freight delivery for customers shared by the parent companies in the Detroit, Philadelphia, and South and North Jersey metro areas.

I believe the operation of the remainder of Conrail exists primarily as a cost center supported financially by the parents - a convenient way to account for the shared services.

#249810  by M.R. Snell

That pretty much sums it up. Existence in name only.

-M

#254334  by ToledoTerminalRy

so all the cars (dare I say it) that are still lettered for CR are actually owned by NS or CSX.