Railroad Forums 

• Residual ConRail equipment

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#17389  by Elwood

What hapened to all these engines? Every time I see an engine in ConRail paint, the paint is peeling off and the engines are filthy and look derelict. What happened? Why is this equipment not being cared for? It kinda reminds me of a time yers ago when a railroad called Penn Central was around.

Elwood

#17414  by scottychaos

Most of the CSX engines still in Conrail paint that I have seen lately still look pretty good..
probably both CSX and NS arent bothering to keep "conrail" engines clean just because they are due to be repainted anyway..
and..no new engines have been painted in Conrail colors for at least 5 years now, so they should start looking ratty naturally just through time and age..
they are just waiting to be repainted is all..
Scot

#19487  by CSX Conductor

some former Con-Rail units that were acquired by CSXT have been re-painted.......usually in the new "Dark Future" paint. For example I know off hand that #7300 and a few other road engines have been re-painted.

Check this site out>>>>>> http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/
 #26594  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#28998  by ns2110

I wouldn't say that NS or CSX hasn't painted anything blue in five years. NS 2107, an SW1001 was just recently (within the past year) painted blue. The engine looks great. I saw it the second day it was back in service on the H25. The engine looked great, sounded even better. From what my engineer friend told me, the engine was stored and recently returend to service.