Railroad Forums 

• C32-8 survivors

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#217507  by scottychaos

Only 10 C32-8 locomotives were ever built, all belonged to Conrail.

There has been some incorrect info going around the internet the last few years concerning the current status of these engines..

Most people have believed that all of the C32-8's have been scrapped except one. The "lone survivor" was recently operating in Georgia.
there are reports that unit has now been scrapped..
meaning all of the C32-8's ever built are now gone forever..

well..that is WRONG! :P
I dont know where the info that "all have been scrapped except the one in Georgia" came from, but that info is incorrect..

there are at least two of the C32-8's in storage at RMDI in Pittston, PA.
possibly as many as 6..but we have photographic evidence for at least two, photos taken in January 2006.

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5619

http://www.kachurak.com/Coxton.pdf

their future is far from secure..they are not operating,
and they could be scrapped.
If anyone wants to save one of these rare GE's..now's the time! :-D

Scot

#494594  by charlie6017

Digging thru some of these older threads..........whatever became of these units?

#495971  by C430

Were any of the C32-8's painted in the NS thoroughbred scheme?

#496488  by uhaul

All the remaing C32-8s are in Ballast Express Grey except for one in Brazil that is in this paint scheme.
www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=213928
My photos from RMDI in late April 2007 shows NS 8464 as a heap of grey scrap metal. The others have their steps cut off, no numberboards, and other missing parts.

I need to post those pictures I know.