• Conrail Lehigh Line (north)

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

by obsessed railfan

I was wandering if anyone knew how many trains beside ALCG/CGAL that ran on the Lehigh Line north to New York on a typical day. Why didn't NS
continue with the ALCG trains or is that their 40T?
  by Matt Langworthy

I recall that Conrail did run quite few trains from the Lehigh Line north to the Southern Tier mainline, where they turned west to reach Buffalo. I remember this from some visits to see my grandma in Waverly. It was also profiled in an issue of FLAGS, DIAMONDS & STATUES magazine. CR ran about 3 trains in each direction between Allentown and Buffalo until about 1983. That's when the steel mills in Bflo began to close and the coke/coal traffic dried up. CR abolished the trains until only BUOI?OIBU and CGAL/ ALCG remained.

By the '90s, BUOI ran at night. You could almost set your watch to it- it came thru Elmira at 11:02PM. ALCG usually departed Gang Mills in the later afternoon hours- usually at 5 or 6PM. I got used to seeing these trains after dark. CR sometimes ran a westbound auto-rack train during daylight hours but I don't know if that ran on the Lehigh Line or not. Does anyone know if it is was a regular trian or an extra?