Railroad Forums 

• Conrail E8's

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#181004  by Engineer James

I hear that their is the possibility of Conrail E8's still in operation. Is it true?? Are they belonging to NS?? I saw a pic of one of them in 1997 in the Conrail New Jersey division Story on the front page "Operation Life Saver". Also, how many CR locos had the OLI Stickers??

#181179  by LCJ

Thanks, Bob. What about 4022 (Erie/EL 833)? Has it been restored to original appearance?

#181291  by Engineer James

CSX Got 2!!! I am amazed! Wonder why they never did a repaint, or even renumbered?? And why, might I ask did they have to go and repaint the old Pennsy's?? I say leave them alone, they are the only surviving CR E8's!!!

Another thing... What did NS Use the one they got for??

#184470  by M.R. Snell

Simple. CSX bought two ex-Amtrak F40's for power for their business train, thus the E's were almost immediately surplus. A better question would be why didn't NS keep theirs - they have no specific power associated with their trainset. Just run whatever's handy at the time.......

Just to alleviate any confusion - all 3 E's are now owned by Juniata Terminal Ry.

-M
 #184569  by oaksmodelrr

Engineer James wrote:CSX Got 2!!! I am amazed! Wonder why they never did a repaint, or even renumbered?? And why, might I ask did they have to go and repaint the old Pennsy's?? I say leave them alone, they are the only surviving CR E8's!!!

Another thing... What did NS Use the one they got for??
It is an interesting story about how CSX got 2 of the three E8's. The Conrail split was not even, 58 % going to NS, 42 % going to CSX. When it came to splitting up the equipment, I was told that the sequence of who got to choose went this way: CSX, NS, CSX, NS, CSX, NS, NS and then start again. Usually this meant that NS got 4 out of each 7, but since there were only 3 to start with, CSX got one, NS got one, and then CSX got the third.

AFAIK NS only used theirs, renumbered NS 1000, as a display during their open house in Altoona before it was sold. CSX had theirs at Cumberland I believe they were to be the first Conrail units repainted after the split, but they never got that new paint nor did they ever wear their new CSX numbers, 9998 and 9999.
 #184574  by Noel Weaver

Frankly, the Conrail E-8's represented CLASS, much more class than
either the CSX or NS will ever have.
They did not fit and fortunately they are in a preserved status.
Noel Weaver

#184597  by LCJ

These units were too far past their prime for either CSX or NS. When they took a good look at them, they determined that the amount required to restore them to everyday running condition was not a wise investment. They are, after all, over 50 years old. Fortunately someone came along with the desire to collect them and the resources to restore them to a certain degree -- good enough for occasional use, anyway.

#184722  by M.R. Snell

Restore them to everyday running condition?

While they are old units they were also maintained well & babied a bit. At least 4020 & 4021. 4022 was used as a reserve unit which never recieved HEP, nor nearly as much track time. Who wants a shipper's special stuck somewhere cause the engines crapped out. How about a train full of local officials/dignitaries?Can't move, maybe no HEP, etc......

These units were/are also Amtrak approved/equipped for the Corridor & if I remember correctly it wasn't too long ago they were pulling 70mph+ down the Corridor. I'd have to look it up but I believe Amtrak rating was/is 90mph.

I can also tell you that the when they did the Buffalo Line trip a few years ago they were haulin ass at 60+ without a hiccup. THAT was fun to chase on PA backroads! Same deal when we chased em across northern Ohio in 97 'cept they were going faster than that.

No, I don't think it was 'restoration', twas already done. You gotta wonder if the NS/CSXT brass didn't want the association of ex-CR power pulling their respective business trains.

#184766  by LCJ

M.R. Snell wrote:You gotta wonder if the NS/CSXT brass didn't want the association of ex-CR power pulling their respective business trains.
While you can certainly speculate any way you wish, it was in reality a financial decision. There were major repairs required to bring them up to standards (such as cracked truck castings). Equipment accounting has little regard for the sentimentalities of these lovely old units.

#184847  by M.R. Snell

Interesting - first I'd heard about cracked trucks. Guess you learn something new everyday! That definitely would relagate a unit to the loss
column.

-M

#221905  by NorfolkSouthernSean

LCJ wrote:Thanks, Bob. What about 4022 (Erie/EL 833)? Has it been restored to original appearance?
It's still in Conrail paint and still carries it's Conrail number of 4022. I'd hope that it would get the same treatment as the other two, 4020 and 4021, and get restored.

#222329  by LCJ

CR 4022 is a fine old unit. I wouldn't mind seeing her maintained as is. It was an interesting era -- for me anyway -- having operated her a few times before the two former PRR/PC/AMTK sisters came on the property (I hate those lift rings on the nose!).

4022 in Enola: