• Seen those red NS/Conrail shared assets cabooses?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

by wolfboy8171981

They were painted before the merger and were never transfered to SAA. One was in Manville for the NS local to use on NJT, but now has been moved to Dover for there use on NJT.

by PRRGuy

Nope, not in my neck of the woods anyways, dont think we've ever gotten one out here. Now there is a Wide-vision N&W caboose working out of Colehour Yard since the NS-CSX take over, replacing 2 ex-Nyc Bay windows. I'm assuming they went to scrap, as one of them was derailed, missing parts and had "Scrap" on the side.
  by JJMDiMunno

Otto Vondrak wrote:Has anyone seen those RED shared assetts cabooses that NS painted for Conrail a couple years back? What happened to them?
Nope, not here in the CSAO South Jersey District...all we've got here is those shoving platforms that no one uses...

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com: All about South Jersey Railroads!

by njtransitrookie

As posted above, one has been living in Dover NJ.

by Engineer

FYI, there has been for a little while now a bay window caboose freshly painted in CSX colors(blue, grey, and yellow) but with CR reporting marks sitting on one of the shop tracks in Oak Island. Not sure if its a former red one though.....
Last edited by Engineer on Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks all, but I'm just interested in the whereabouts of the RED cabooses.

Where in Dover is this one dwelling? In the NJT yard?

-otto-

by njtransitrookie

As of today, the caboose is still in Dover NJT's yard.
  by RS115

Yesterday (4/29) on my way home I saw the Dover Drill with one of the red hacks. It was in Denville shoving east up the Boonton line. First I'd seen of the red (now much duller than shown in the picture above) hack but it's definately still in use in Dover.

by njtransitrookie

The crummy now carries DOVER marks meaning no more 2 locos.