Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#935271  by jwhite07

Does anyone know what primary commodities were carried on the St. Andrews Subdivision and Champlain Spur in New Brunswick in the later years of their existence? Were there ever any major industries (paper mills, quarries et al) served in that time frame? I know they basically did not survive CP Rail's Canadian Atlantic Railway "internal shortline" business plan and were abandoned in the late 1980s/early 1990s, but I'm curious as to what the primary commodities were on those branches.

Bonus question in that same neck 'o the woods... Neither CP nor MEC noted (as far as I can determine) their exact point of connection in the Calais/Milltown/Woodland area... where exactly was it? MP location and branch/sub/spur involved would be helpful as well... best I can arrive at is the lines connected on either the MEC Calais Branch or Woodland Branch, and the physical connection was to either the CP St. Stephen Sub or the Milltown Spur, but no ETT I have seen from either MEC or CP ever clearly denotes the connection and precisely on which line and where it was. Can anyone pinpoint where CP and MEC physically connected and/or interchanged in that area?

Thanks!
 #936079  by S1f3432

The MEC/CP connection is on the Calais Branch at Milltown Junction just west of Calais. A 1976 MEC track diagram book doesn't give a mile post for the junction switch but the first grade crossing to the west, Mill St. is milepost 268.51 (from Portland) and the old Salmon Falls enginehouse was at milepost 269.11 and Calais 270.38. The diagram shows the bridge as owned by MEC with CP ownership beginning at the Canadian end of the bridge. Go into GoogleMaps and the bridge is visable in the satelite view. The connection with the Woodland Branch at St. Crois Jct. is milepost 266.85.