Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#877877  by labaienordique

There are probably many people who aren't aware of Northern Ontario geography, however I've been planning a trip to check out the franco-ontarian town of Dubreuilville in the Northeast.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s ... 41851&z=12

The quickest way would be to take the VIA 185 to Franz & transfer onto the ACR 632 towards Dubreuilville. However the connection times simply don't align. I could take the Northlander to Hearst & then transfer to the ACR 632 however that would require an overnight stay. The same applies with catching the ACR in Sault Ste Marie as well as the VIA Rail Canadian at Oba.

Now, I recognize the lumber industry isn't exactly booming, however I've listened to numerous reports on Radio-Canada about launching again the Dubreuilville forestry mill. And with the development of mines for precious metals in the area at large (along the North Shore of Lake Superior), I was wondering if there has ever been any thought about rerouting the CPR line from Lochalsh through Dubreuilville & then connect it back to Girdwood? This would offer the CPR a much more direct route (instead of having to zigzag between lakes through Franz) resulting a quicker travel times through this area.

This also might encourage more people to utilize the Algoma Central & Canadian Pacific lines as it would offer a viable rail transfer point for passengers (given Dubreuilville is a fully functional town, while Franz is at best, a ghost town). It could help spur some development in Dubreuilville (an isolated community in the Northeast) tourism with motels, increased infrastructure, etc.

Thoughts?