Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#664838  by Spenda

Two days ago I saw some rail service equipment and associated MoW types on the CP tracks in the Don Valley just north of the Union Station Rail Corridor. My understanding is that this track hasn't been used for some time. Indeed I believe CP removed the switch at one end not too long ago. I think the last train might have been CP's Christmas train in 2007. There was some talk about restoring passenger service to Peterborough about 18 months ago but it has all gone quiet for a year or so. Separately I see GO has purchased part of CN's Newmarket Sub.

With all this in mind does anyone know why suddenly there are track gangs plying CP tracks in the Don Valley? Is there some truth to the rumour that there will be a restoration of passenger service to Peterborough? Has GO purchased the sub from CP? I understand too that it has been for sale for some time. Is CP going to suddenly start moving lots of freight to the docks in Toronto?

Any info to satisfy my curiosity is greatly appreciated.

Spenda
 #671305  by gaspeamtrak

Are these the tracks that branch off about 1 mile east of the station and go north along the (Don) river?
I though the "Northlander " went this way out of Toronto? Or is the wrong tracks i'm thinking of?
 #671412  by Ken V

There are two rail lines that branch north along the Don River around Cherry St. eastward out of Union Station. One is CN's Bala Sub which is used by the ONR Northlander, GO Transit, VIA's Canadian, and a few CN freights. The other is CP's Belleville Sub (or Don Spur) which as been unused for a few years. The CN line follows the east side of the river while the CP line climbs the west side of the valley before bridging over to the east side just south of Pottery Rd.

I haven't heard of any reason why CP might be interested in reviving their route here.