Railroad Forums 

• CP Rail Elephant Ears SD40-2 #5640

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#616727  by Eric Kreszl

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know where I can find information and photos of CP Rail SD40-2 #5640. The locomotive had the experimental Elephant ears at the back of the locomotive.

Any links to websites or photos would be much appreciated.

Eric
 #649598  by GulfRail

The reason that the units were fitted with elephant ears was because of "breathing" problems in long tunnels (ala. SP, who also installed elephant ears on some of their units). One thing I don't understand is that these problems were present in their older SD40's, so why didn't they order SD40T-2's? Infact, I'm surprised that EMD, knowing the airflow problems of the SD40 and SD45 didn't just make the Tunnel motor standard. It would have saved alot of money, and EMD wouldn't have had two models at the same time.
 #649671  by atsf sp

GulfRail wrote:Infact, I'm surprised that EMD, knowing the airflow problems of the SD40 and SD45 didn't just make the Tunnel motor standard.
Was the Tunnel motor more expensive?