Railroad Forums 

• CP Unit Coal Train Thru Chicago

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#458029  by bearclaw36

In the past few weeks, I have seen a loaded CP unit coal train going south [towards Chicago] on the C&M [ex-MILW] sub. Where is this train coming from? Where is it going to?

Ed Kaplan

#458076  by SooLineRob

The coal train you're seeing (taking a guess here, without knowing the train #) originates at British Columbia, CA mines and runs the C&M Sub to Tower A5, makes a right onto the Elgin Sub, and heads west to Spaulding, IL, and is handed off the the EJ&E, which delivers it to a steel mill in Indiana (Burns Harbor, I believe).

If you're seeing that train in the evening, Monday through Friday, then that's the one I'm talking about. CPR "holds it back" out of the "Scoot Zone" until the evening rush is over, so the Spaulding interchange doesn't foul up the Metra trains on the Elgin Sub. Same thing in reverse for the empties coming out of Spaulding. On Saturday and Sunday, with a bigger operating window, those coal trains do operate in daylight...

#458288  by BigWeb

I think it might be the IHB that they hand it off too.

But yes it does go to NS Burns Harbor yard and the Mittal Steel Plant.