Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#422610  by scharnhorst

Dose anyone know howmany 40 foot Bocars are still in active service on Canadian Pacific?? I have heard storys of them still being used here and there is there any truth to this??

#422752  by SooLineRob

Scharnhorst,

If 40 footers are still "on the payroll", they're not being used in revenue service in the U.S. anyway. I recall seeing SOO/MILW 40'ers in "company material" service about 3+ years ago, but not recently. I recall some Canadian branch lines that weren't 286,000 gross railcar weight compliant were home to a dedicated "fleet" of 40' boxes, but that was a few years ago. I'll do a little research when time permits and reply.

SLR.

#423456  by umtrr-author

The Official Railway Equipment Register for January 2006 - the newest one I have - shows eight boxcars with a 40 foot 6 inch inside length numbered from 50020 to 59505.

Those were the only ones I saw taking a very quick look through the listing.

Since that ORER is now almost 18 months old it's entirely possible that these cars are also gone.

#426242  by Will_S

I might have seen a picture recently of a 40' box being used as on idler on an ammonia train. It is conceivable that it was actually a 50', given the angle, and I doubt I could locate the picture again.

#450940  by W.E.Coyote

There's a few in service as icicle-breaker cars with roof mountings.