Railroad Forums 

• How many locos still in MILW paint?

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#29269  by TerryC

How many locomotives are still in SOO Line paint and Milwaukee Road paint? What ever happened to Milwaukee Road's F45's?

#31871  by caboose

Though I don`t know how many exactly,there are still enough Soo Line painted locos where it is not uncommon to see any on a CP or even a D&H train.I don`t know on the Milw. Road units,maybe a few GP38-2s from the Soo Line takeover of what 1985(?),but I imagine they have to be very scarce. :)

#31881  by ak-milw

I know in Wisconsin there are plenty of Soo Line locos left, all shapes and sizes. Milwaukee has 3 units still running, I think they are all 38-2's, but I'm not positive on that!! :wink:

#34405  by fglk

:(
Last edited by fglk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#36544  by RdHseRat

The F45's were already on the retired before the Soo acquired the Milwaukee

#37957  by AmtrakFan

ak-milw wrote:I know in Wisconsin there are plenty of Soo Line locos left, all shapes and sizes. Milwaukee has 3 units still running, I think they are all 38-2's, but I'm not positive on that!! :wink:
They still have some Soo Line Painted Locomotive's in the Chicago Area still.

AmtrakFan

#67378  by Tadman

Yeah Chicago is the place for Soo units, and the classic white/red too, not that crappy psuedo-CP all red of the early 90's. I see them all the time in Bensenville. I saw two SD60's while landing at midway a few days ago in the white/red look.
 #69208  by Komachi

Living here in Southeastern Minnesota, I sometimes go to Winona and LaCrosse, Wisconsin every once and a while and every now and again I catch glimpse of red and white (I've heard it described as a light grey...) SOO SD units (saw one last February, actually) and an elusive "bandit" GP unit (a GP-38, I believe) running on the CP tracks that parallel the Mississippi River. Been a while since I've seen them, so I don't remember unit numbers...

#69419  by AmtrakFan

Tadman wrote:Yeah Chicago is the place for Soo units, and the classic white/red too, not that crappy psuedo-CP all red of the early 90's. I see them all the time in Bensenville. I saw two SD60's while landing at midway a few days ago in the white/red look.
I've got several photos of SOO GP40's I would like get some Candy Apple Reds.

AmtrakFan

#71244  by SSW9389

RdHseRat wrote:The F45's were already on the retired before the Soo acquired the Milwaukee
Actually no they weren't as Milwaukee Road never had any F45s.

#71261  by crazy_nip

SSW9389 wrote:
RdHseRat wrote:The F45's were already on the retired before the Soo acquired the Milwaukee
Actually no they weren't as Milwaukee Road never had any F45s.
they had FP45's, and yes, they were retired before "the end"
 #125064  by Arborwayfan

I see SOO units in both paint schemes in Terre Haute pretty often. I think I see more of the red and white ones. I haven't looked closely enough to keep track of whether I see the same units over and over again, which could be the case, since we're on an isolated bit of CP track that sees more local coal traffic than anything else. We also see CP units with two different crests (the pac-man-looking one and the big gold shield). I have seen one very dingy Milwaukee Road unit, but I didn't get a good look at it because it whistled for a crossing about 15 feet from us, scaring my 3-year-old into a panic.

#129328  by CNW4404

There are about 10-20 "bandits" in MILW paint but SOO numbers and reporting marks on the side- they're all GP40s and MP15ACs.

Every SOO SD60 is still in its paint, that being 6000-6062 (the last 5 are SD60Ms)

A few 6600 series SOO units are still in their paint, but are slowly being repainted into CP colors. SOO 700 series SD40-2s are a much rarer breed- more quickly being scrapped or repainted (and most of them ARE already repainted)

Many SOO GP38-2s still around, but are also slowly being repainted into CP.

#129330  by AmtrakFan

Some SD60's Not the Wide Cab Variety are left in Soo Paint

#129335  by CNW4404

AmtrakFan wrote:Some SD60's Not the Wide Cab Variety are left in Soo Paint
I repeat what I said in the last post, ALL SOO SD60s are in their SOO paint!!!