Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#26298  by NsNscalerailfaN

I'm going to rail camp this summer in Scranton....How much CP traffic is there? I know there is at least a daily manifest as 11/12R get a lot of stuff from Binghampton....Any informatino would be appreciated....Same for Binghampton...Type of traffic, volume, etc...Thanks.........

#27887  by dtravisjr

I went to Railcamp in 2001. Theres LOTS of stuff to see in Scranton. 410/411 run between Binghamton and Allentown. 412/413 (these are NS 11/12R trains). There is also a turn from Bingo to Sunbury, Pa. It runs mainly at night though. There is also 164/165 between Philly and Bingo (actually they run to Montreal) and 166/167 between Oak Island, NJ and Bingo (Toronto). 412/413 are daily, The Allentown trains run on Sun, Mon, Wed, and Fri. The Philly and Oak Island trains run on Sun, Tue, Thur and Sat. There may also be a few coal trains headed to Binghamton or New England and empties returning south. The Allentown, Philly, and Oak Island trains run mainly with 3 or 4 CP SD40-2's and/or SOO SD60's. The 412/413 and the coal trains have run through NS and ex-CR power. Mainly GE widecabs. CP operates outn of Taylor yard across the river from Steamtown. Its not very big but it does have a small, but busy intermodal terminal. CP keeps a couple of GP38-2's or GP-40's on hand to handle local work and switch the yard. That turn job that I mentioned before picks up cars and any engines that need servicing and takes them to Binghamton. There are also 4 daily NS trackage rights trains on the CP. 30T/31T are Allentown-Buffalo trains and run almost exclusively with CN power. 12T/13T are Buffalo-Enola trains and run with any type of NS power and a good chance they may have foreign power either leading or trailing. Plus the Delaware-Lackawanna shortline will be running right past Steamtown during the week with their Alcos so thats cool too.

As for my hometown of Binghamton, you get pretty much all the trains that run throguh Scranton plus a few more that come in from Canada and Buffalo that terminate in Binghamton. CP has a much bigger yard in Binghamton where most of the trains are switched out and the power gets serviced or replaced. They have a very busy 2 bay engine shop with a turntable and all the fueling and sanding facilities to go with it. Your group will probably be making a trip up here and touring it sometime during the week. Lots of switching here too. Usually 2 or 3 yard jobs working. The NS and/or NYSW may make a run over for interchange as well. Hope this helps and have fun at railcamp!

#28302  by Urban D Kaye

Caught these during a visit to Scranton last year...

#52616  by sjl

nscalerailfan, what did you think of railcamp?

#97485  by ANDY117

If you get a chance- check out the last semaphore on the tier in Endicott! You can see it through the trees. Unless you want to hike a half mile down the ROW.