Railroad Forums 

• MLW's - Gone?

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#234392  by CPSD40-2

Back in 1997, I lived along the D & H main in Plattsburgh. Little did I know I was witnessing the last days of the MLWs that were still in active service. I heard that some of them were turned into road slugs, then I heard they all got scrapped, and that some were instoreage still serviceable.

Anyone know whats up with any of them?

#234541  by 2spot

I'm not the authority on the subject but I believe CPs last MLW was Control cab #1100, a C-424 (unpowered), retired in 2004. I dont believe it was sold so it might be in the 'historic collection'. Suggest checking in the "Canadian Trackside Guide" or www.mountainrailway.com/ . Actually, after checking the latter, there is a picture of 1100 taken in Ogden (Calgary), Feb. this year. I cant say enough about Mountainrailway.com its excellent! If it helps, CN still has M-636 #2338 somewhere around MacMillan yard (Toronto).

#234885  by cpr_trains

Regarding mountainrailway.com -- who is the author for the website and does anyone have his/her email address? I would like to contact him/her regarding photo contributions to the site.

#234893  by 2spot

Mountainrailway.com is the creation of Wilco van Schoonhoven. Click any of the pictures, then click the resources link to reach him.

#234983  by trainiac

The Canadian Railway Museum at St-Constant, QC, has an incredible collection of MLW's, representing almost all models built. I can think of 4 CP units off the top of my head, two of which are operational (C424 4237 and M630 4563).