Railroad Forums 

• Question about surviving CPR FM's

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#101777  by Richard Glueck

Would somebody with knowledge on the subject, please give a listing of all the retired Canadian Pacific Fairbanks-Morse locomotives which remain in existence, and possibly, reflect on their condition/status? THis is a followup to a discussion in the LIRR forum.

#109744  by BAR BL-2

On the surviving Canadian FM's question, I can't provide a definitive list , their location and status, but recently did a little research looking for C-Liners. Check the following website for information on five FM's. There are reportedly an H-16-44 and C-Liner A at the Museum of the Highwood Railway, at High River, Alberta, two B-unit shells that were CPR radio repeater cars at Cranbrook, AB (perhaps at the Canadian Museum of Rail Travel?), and a CPR C-Liner at the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa:

http://exotic.railfan.net/FM.htm.

Of course, you're probably aware of the only surviving Trainmaster (CPR)at the Canadian Railway Museum, Ste. Constant, Quebec. It is stored indoors in a very cramped and dark section of their indoor exhibit. I love the museum, and am very happy a Trainmaster was saved, but it cannot be photographed without adequate photo lighting.

I am providing this information as no one seems to have responded to your question. I am en route to Alberta next month, but unlikely to visit either Cranbrook or High River. Nonetheless, they are on my list for the future.

#109792  by Richard Glueck

I had the privilege of going aboard the C-Liner in the storage shed in Ottawa, and took extensive photos of her interior. I also saw the H-24-66 at Delson, on that same trip. I'm wondering what the condition is of the Cranbrook C-Liner. I'm also curious about the remaining CPR FM's.

As I type this, I am approximately 5 miles from the traditional home of the BAR BL-2's!
 #109812  by BAR BL-2

That FM website mentioned 2 C-liner B's at Cranbrook, but I seem to remember they were listed as shells. I also read somewhere they were converted by CPR to radio control units. If so, they probably lost all windows, most doors, the filter grilles, and, if truck parts were a problem, the trucks too in favor of something more maintainable. Wish the item said where they are/were in Cranbrook. My bet is the Museum of Canadian Rail Travel, but their website disavows having any FM's -- says they have MLW and GMD passenger units.

The Museum of Highwood doesn't seem to have a website, but does appear as a phone number only in the list of High River, AB businesses. Note it doesn't say Museum of Highwood Railway, though it is listed that way on several railfan websites. I have a suspicion it is a local museum that happens to have some railroad equipment -- including a C-liner and perhaps an H-16-44. When I am in Alberta in April, I will see what I can find out.

#110224  by Ken V

I don't have much info either but, according to the Canadian Trackside Guide (a very reliable source), it appears the two C-liner Bs (originally CP 4455 & 4456) could be located at The Locomotive & Railway Historical Society of Western Canada in De Winton, Alberta (near Calgary) rather than in Cranbrook BC.

#110388  by missthealcos

The 2 C-liner B units do exist, and while they are converted to remote control cars, they retained much of their original appearance. The rest of the B units, which were coneretd to robot cars by CP in the early '70's lost practically all distinguishing features.... the 2 that exist today, which were converetd by PGE/BC rail retained their side skirts, one set of side doors, most of the steps etc.....they could quite easily be made to appear as actual CFB16-4's. I have seen them many times over the last 15 years, in various places. All of the units converted retained the original trucks.

#115011  by CN9634

In Fort Fairfield, Maine there is an CP unit. I dont know the number or the class, but its not EMD. Also theres a buisiness car there and a CP caboose (CN van there too) Got a pic somewhere. Perhaps i will upload it

#115096  by CN9634

Ive now confirmed that unit is an S23

#121748  by GTR713

BAR BL-2 wrote: Of course, you're probably aware of the only surviving Trainmaster (CPR)at the Canadian Railway Museum, Ste. Constant, Quebec. It is stored indoors in a very cramped and dark section of their indoor exhibit. I love the museum, and am very happy a Trainmaster was saved, but it cannot be photographed without adequate photo lighting.
I work as a volunteer at the Canadian Railway Museum and I want to let people know that the new Exporail pavillion has been opened for about a year now. Lots of locomotives and cars are now safe and sound inside a photography-friendly environment, including the Trainmaster #8905.