Railroad Forums 

• cab ride over Kicking Horse Pass

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#89048  by Floh

Hello over there,
we (2 German railfans) visited Canada in Sptember 2002.
We explored he CPR line over Kicking Horse and Rogers Pass by "Rocky Mountaineer" (there sadly being no other passenger train on this route) and car, camping beside the railway, taking photos, going to the Last Spike Site, and generally enjoying this great railway. A memorable vacation indeed!
Now we are planning to re-visit Canada (and the CPR of course!) in August this year - and there would be just one dream for us yet to be realized: a freight locomotive cab ride over the pass route!
Could anyone give us a hint where to apply for some permit or whom to ask for a ride? Or maybe we should just go to Field and ask the local railwaymen? I know that Canadian railway people (whether CPR, VIA or BCRail) are exceptionally railfan-friendly, but they will have their regulations and I don't know how strictly these are enforced - and we certainly don't want to cause someone problems...
Unfortunately I don't know any people "inside" the CPR who might be able to help.
I would appreciate any information.
Thank you so much,
Bernd (aka floh)
Bruessow Old Station
Bruessow, Germany

#92040  by Kazaam

Hello....I am a conductor for the CPR, but unfortunately I work in the Southern, Ontario area....I, myself, have never had anyone ride along with us in the cab, nor do I know of the procedure to do so, but my suggestion would be to talk to the yard manager, or whoever may be in charge, tell them where you are from and what you are interested in doing, and I am sure they will give you some insight as to whether they can allow that or not. Goodluck and enjoy your return visit to Canada!!

#92097  by trainmaster_1

From what I heard you will have to fill out a non-employee waver form and have work boots with you when you are in the yard and on the trains when you want a cabride but I guess times have changed now and I'm betting they don't allow people to come in and filling out forms and then getting themselves hurt or killed.

#92282  by SRS125

I rember geting a waver to walk around the Ontario Northland shops in North Bay Ontario back in the late 90's and have to wear steel toed boots, saftey glasses and a hard hat just to walk down to the refuleing pad to take some pics of the locos there. I went back around 2003 and was told that due to insurence policys they could not just let anyone walk about the property all railfans had to call 2 weeks ahead befor geting permited to walk the grounds. Althow the ONR Police gave me some tips and directed me to some great railfaning locations along the ONR/CPR Main line :-D