Railroad Forums 

• CN L'Anse Sub Upper Peninsula Michigan

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#892209  by blackjack1518

The L'Anse sub has or had engine restrictions "six-axle locos are not permitted on this subdivision. But they seem to follow the any unit anywhere no matter how heavy the power and light the rail philosophy. The track is crumbling quickly. Does anyone think they will rebuild it or just remove it?
 #892313  by jimnorthwood

Celotex in L'Anse is still the major shipper on this line, isn't it? Assuming they are, CN will probably keep it. Their line from Trout Lake to Munising is receiving some rehabilitation, from what I understand. I think most people, myself included, expected CN to sell off all of most of the former WC lines in the U.P., possibly keeping either the Ore Line to Escanaba or the line to the Soo. But they've kept everything so far, even the White Pine sub, the status of which is very much up in the air due to the closure of the refinery in White Pine.
 #892350  by blackjack1518

Celotex is still the main shipper yes. Are some others also but not sure what they ship. Just makes you wonder when you see SD70 and 75 running on a line with 80 pound rail if that maybe the end for line is not that far off. They also ran a big modern six axle on the White Pine sub late last fall to Thomaston. They left out of Thomaston with 15 car loads of ore from the old Peterson mine and couple cars of pulpwood.
 #895008  by blackjack1518

Article about the Eagle Mine project. CN L'Anse sub will service the Humboldt mill to transport concentrate from the mill to a smelter. I think around 300 carloads a year for six years.

MARQUETTE COUNTY -- Construction on Kennecott's Eagle Mine project is continuing right on schedule.

It's come a long way in nine months.

From just a few steel beams in the ground, to several buildings on site, projects designed for the Kennecott Eagle Mine are slowly becoming a reality.

As construction of the mine continues, there are about 50 or 60 workers on site every day.

What they're working on now is the inside of the water treatment plant. They're getting ready for the installation of equipment.

The water treatment plant is an essential element of the entire mining operation.

It needs to be up and running before any underground development can begin.

All of the water on site will be treated at the plant.

"It is treated to better than drinking water standards, and we also have the ability to re-route the water back to the head of the plant so that it will not be discharged to the environment until it meets the standards," says Kristen Mariuzza, environment and permitting manager for Kennecott.

That includes rain water and snow melt.

There have been protests in the past about environmental quality suffering once mining operations begin.

Kennecott officials have heard those concerns, and say they're committed to keeping the area clean and protected.

"The environment is a top priority for the company as well as the community, which is why we will not release water back into the environment until it reaches standards where the water is safe for people to drink," Mariuzza adds.

Throughout the winter months, construction efforts on the water treatment plant will continue.

Once the weather warms up, more construction will take place in other outdoor areas of the mine site.

The Eagle Mine is projected to be fully operational by April of 2013.