Railroad Forums 

• SD40-2 invasion

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#807260  by CN Sparky

Seems there's now eighteen of the good ol' SD40-2's kicking around Thornton Yard now... with another three making the North Van <-> Squamish run.. in addition to the 6027 beltpack tester still running around and the 6018 which is parked at the moment. Most of them seem to be running in sets of three as transfer power...

I figured these things would be hitting the surplus web sales once the new SD70M-2's and GEVO's arrived... but someone thought it would be a good idea to pull them off the dead line and send them to us instead. What can I say.. I love the job security!! They aren't maintained well enough to run reliably for the full 92 days between inspections...
 #807293  by CN_Hogger

Please keep them up there along with the remaining SD60Fs and C40-8Ms....
 #807999  by Deval

We need to those down to Chicago - need more CN engines to die on the Belt and the Harbor.

It's been a while since I've gotten a call from the IHB telling me how stupid we are... :P
CN_Hogger wrote:Please keep them up there along with the remaining SD60Fs and C40-8Ms....
 #808183  by .missthealcos.

It sure is nice to see them here though! Looks like the 80's over here in North Van(except of course the hellish looking "paint" on most of them), Lynn Creek full of sets of SD40-2W's and the SW1200RS' to boot! For once in a long time, CN is actually interesting around here! Saw a Northbound through West Van the other day, was pleasantly surprised to see 3 SD40-2W(one dead), instead of the usual technobeasts...sure sounded and looked good, in a nostalgic sort of way. Crews may have a "slightly" different opinion!
 #808826  by ENR3870

The SD40-2W's should have been retired long ago, they're tired and beat up.
 #809051  by miklin

in Southern Ontario, I've seen them leading stack trains within the last month.................
 #809354  by CN Sparky

ENR3870 wrote:The SD40-2W's should have been retired long ago, they're tired and beat up.
But the narrow cabs are ok? :)

They've been a boon to the Thornton shops lately... lots of work. Looks like we'll be looking for more mechanics and electricians soon!!
 #810243  by ENR3870

CN Sparky wrote:
ENR3870 wrote:The SD40-2W's should have been retired long ago, they're tired and beat up.
But the narrow cabs are ok? :)

They've been a boon to the Thornton shops lately... lots of work. Looks like we'll be looking for more mechanics and electricians soon!!
I'd take them over the SD40-2W's, at least the 6000's and the 5300's, ex-UP were rebuilt in the 1990's.