Railroad Forums 

• Current model CN power and snow shields

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#673073  by nydepot

Do any of the current EMD models (SD70, etc) have snow shields or did that practice go away with the older SD40-2, GP38-2, etc.? Thanks.

Charles
 #673558  by trainiac

Some modern CN units DO have snow shields, but not the same as those used on second-generation EMD units. CN's SD70M-2's were retrofitted with new louvered dynamic brake intakes after the original screened intakes were found to ingest snow. The SD70ACe's operating in Australia have a similar modification--only for dust instead of snow.
 #679319  by lock4244

The SD75I's were all delivered without snow sheilds, and they still don't have any. However, they did install snow shields on at least one SD75I as a test shortly after delivery (they were similar to the ones on the GP40-2L's and SD40-2W's). They were removed and I only ever saw one so unit equipped (can't remember the unit number). The privatized CN probably couldn't justify the expense vs benefits or if snow was a problem they must have found another solution.