Railroad Forums 

• Is CN becoming IC?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#113592  by emd_SD_60

trainmaster_1 wrote:
emd_SD_60 wrote:Is it just me or are those old, tired SD40's by far the noisiest sons of guns? They practically rattle everything in my house (which is a half mile from the tracks)!
Why do you have something against an SD40 or SD40-2 ? Heck at least there by far more reliable than those D9's or AC4400's.
I didn't say I hated them, I was just taking note of their "power":-)

#113594  by trainmaster_1

Oh Ok :-D but still an EMD product at work ! :P

#120164  by AmtrakFan

I think that CN needs to do more matience and dump EHH.

#120343  by Clique of One

"I think that CN needs to do more matience and dump EHH" :P

That would be a dream come true for not only me, but for the rest of us up here in Canada. :-D

Signal Mechanic. Signal Department. Canadian National Railways.

#120672  by Dieter

This thread has gone on for some time.

Does anyone know of any equipment still being painted in IC?

As for the interesting stories about C&O buying B&O, and the B&O guys took over, that's certainly the trend, isn't it? In the Penn Central merger, it was the Pennsy guys who went in the revolving door behind the Central's and then came out ahead.

You hear so many strange things you don't know what to believe, but I thought it was very strange for CN to purchase IC, and put an American in charge. I hear now that most of the brass is American.

Dieter.
 #405393  by bufftbone

As for maintenance, the IC mainline seems to be in tip-top
condition. WC looks to be in decent shape too. The ex-GTW
looks to me to be in a bit rougher shape.

- Ed Kyle

It's 07 and it's still bouncy!!!
 #601620  by bufftbone

The morjority of management is IC management including the old coot, Hunter.
 #602842  by Tadman

Dieter, I'm not sure what B&O guys took over from C&O guys, but the CEO from 1972 to 1991 (with a brief pause in 1982 at the CSX merger) was a C&O employee since 1947.

Re:

#615686  by Red Arrow Fan

cariboo1946 wrote:Leo;

You're right about the intended name given to CSX, indicating Chessie, Seaboard and ?? in the future. But, I worked for C&O for 20 years, we said it stood for Cheap & Obsolete, and CSX stood for Chicken * Express. In the creation of Chessie System, the original Chesapeake & Ohio Railway bought up the controlling interest in Baltimore & Ohio, as it was having cash flow problems, and needed an influx of money. They raised a bunch of bridges, repaired the track, improved the car and locomotive fleet, and were taken over by B&O management. Go figure, these guys ran B&O into the ground, yet they wound up running the whole shebang.
According to the book "Merging Lines", CSX stands for "Chessie Seaboard Together". (How 'X' means 'Together' is a mystery to me.)
 #616048  by Tadman

"X" in CSX meant nothing - it was a place holder just like "X" is in reporting marks. This was told to me by a top CSX exec in the late 1980's or early 1990's. I was fortunate to have his son as a neighbor and hear quite a few stories from CSX. I'm sure he was thrilled when I asked why the last three of the Clinchfield F's were retired. Long story short, this guy was a top decision maker in the merger and knows the real story.
 #616250  by Ken V

Folks,

Can we please stay on topic. This isn't meant to be a yet another discussion on what CSX stands for, or on the past history of the C&O and/or B&O.
 #649603  by GulfRail

bufftbone wrote:The morjority of management is IC management including the old coot, Hunter.
Bruce and Moyers did a far better job than that BNSF reject!
 #656001  by Dieter

Coming back to proper orbit..... Until my NEXT DIGRESSION :P

Two dittys on the topic;

1) Looking through a Choo-Choo mag of the past few months recently, there was a picture of what was called the CN/IC Santa Train, or Christmas Train or for the maladjusted, bigoted and intolerant among us, perhaps it was called "The CN/IC HOLIDAY Train". Whatever the case, the Special for Christmas was NOT called the CN Train but the CN/IC train. How many years has it been now since the merger/purchase/take-over??

So much for that year long transition to honour the Centennial of Casey Jones, and then phase the IC entity out. With the passage of time, the IC entity seems like something you can't seem to wipe off your shoes.

2) Watching some trains on the Transcon last week in Lachine, Quebec, and I'm sorry I didnt' get a picture of it for you guys; a combined lashup on the point of a double-stack train of CN and IC power, and by jeese guys, but you would have SWORN with me that the IC units had been recently outshopped in FRESH IC PAINT.

Now, is it like Penn Central trying to make do with a warehouse of leftover Jade Green New York Central paint, or what's happening here? When UP bought C&NW, they couldn't paint everything fast enough!

D/
 #656038  by CN Sparky

The IC power might have been washed... :)

There are no more units being painted in IC colours that I'm aware of... all the rebuilt IC SW7's are being repainted in CN colours. Same goes for any road power, one of the IC SD70's already got the CN paint job, (1014? 1017? Can't remember). Same with the BC Rail stuff... BCOL 4615 is a GE Dash 8 but in full red white & black CN colours now... just has BCOL sublettering.