Railroad Forums 

• Canadian National - Time for a New Name?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#608137  by Tadman

Yo Dieter, in Chicago [where it counts], we call it "IC". Especially if you ride the Metra Electric, it's the IC, not Illinois Central. It's more so with the old-timers that rode pre-Metra or RTA.
 #608982  by Dieter

ch_bs06 wrote:NO. Leave it the way it is.

Keep it Canadian.
I DITTO THAT.

But MACTRAXX brings to mind other possibilities;

Mississippi & Hudson (M&H? Try making a worm logo out of that, easy enough)

Chicago & Toronto ---- FORGET THAT.

How about;
Halifax, New Orleans, Vancouver & St. Louis
or
Maritime, Gulf & Pacific
or
Montreal, Memphis & Manitoba
or perhaps
Hoser, Yankee & Southern (The NEW DIXIE LINE, EH?)

What a goddamned can of KLIK I just opened (You guys from Chicago south can't relate to that, so just take my word for it), Ithink they should just leave it alone, or we will end up with another stupid abbreviation like Crash Spill Xplode, that will leave everyone on both sided of the border scratching their noggins.

As far as CNNA, I'm sorry, but I thought it was lame, and the logo looked like a cross between peeling paint and a birth mark or an acid burn. CNA is equally lame, and I don't like the idea of a segregated system.

D/
 #610246  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Good input from all on this subject concerning the name Canadian National-I figured that this debate would be interesting. I wanted to mention how I came up with the name CENTRAL NORTHERN in case anyone does not know:

CENTRAL being half of the ILLINOIS CENTRAL name and because the CN System serves the center of the US basically North and South.

NORTHERN because of the Canadian National's transcontinental service across what basically is the Northern sector of the North American continent and the original name of CN: CANADIAN NORTHERN.

I wanted to keep the initials the same as there is absolutely NO need to change the logo or colors. I fully understand the resistance to change the name and keep it Canadian National - but today there is far more to CN today then back in the days when it was a Crown Corporation of the Canadian Government. Thoughts and observations from -MACTRAXX-
 #613362  by conrail_engineer

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: Good input from all on this subject concerning the name Canadian National-I figured that this debate would be interesting. I wanted to mention how I came up with the name CENTRAL NORTHERN in case anyone does not know:

CENTRAL being half of the ILLINOIS CENTRAL name and because the CN System serves the center of the US basically North and South.

NORTHERN because of the Canadian National's transcontinental service across what basically is the Northern sector of the North American continent and the original name of CN: CANADIAN NORTHERN.

I wanted to keep the initials the same as there is absolutely NO need to change the logo or colors. I fully understand the resistance to change the name and keep it Canadian National - but today there is far more to CN today then back in the days when it was a Crown Corporation of the Canadian Government. Thoughts and observations from -MACTRAXX-
The "logos and colors" are actually a minor part of the cost of renaming a corporation. Expecially in the case of railroads, reporting marks, inspection cards and records, assignment of power all have to be accurate and up to date.

As an aside point, you might be interested to learn that the IC, the GTW, the WC all continue to exist as corporate entities owned by the CN - and new locomotives are being assigned those marks, albeit with the CN paintjobs.

Reason being the tax advantages offered in the States regarding equipment depreciation. Canadian corporations have some advantages and American ones other advantages. So money and equipment, especially locomotives, are being divvied up and assigned to corporate entities within CN.

As to the "emotional" need for a new name: I might suggest ILLINOIS CENTRAL. That's what current CEO Hunter Harrison seems to want...here, everyone thought it was the CN buying the IC; when in fact it was the IC buying the CN, with the CN's money.

Trust me - I'm in the middle of it. Made the jump from CSX some months back.
 #615539  by charlie6017

conrail_engineer wrote:Trust me - I'm in the middle of it. Made the jump from CSX some months back.
Good to hear from ya! Was wondering where you went........;-)