Railroad Forums 

• Latest CN buying rumor - is EJ&E next?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#443606  by bufftbone

J hogger wrote:Sometimes all you have to do is look and you get information. :wink: This is from Crain's Chicago Business:

Rail deal offers city a remedy

Like I said before, they sound serious this time. :-D
Well I'm sure I'll see you around Markham yard in the near future. TTYL future CN co-employee

:wink:

#444227  by EJ&ESDM809

I can't see CN spending 1 billion dollars plus to get not even 100 miles of track. Like I said before, I doubt it is going to happen. There were rumors that CN was going to be the railroad to get DM&E and IC&E, and those weren't right, so just because there are a few rumors floating around doesn't mean its going to happen.

#444366  by bufftbone

I talked to the SLE today and asked him about the whole J thing. He said they had a meeting back in June that Hunter was a part of and it was serious. Recent talks were going well too. He pointed out some of the bonuses for the CN in them purchasing them but also pointed out that they would have to redo, add and change a lot of the track and the way it was run to really be effective for CN. Getting rid of track warrents and updating the signal systems were something else he pointed out that needed to be done.

#444383  by J hogger

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:I can't see CN spending 1 billion dollars plus to get not even 100 miles of track. Like I said before, I doubt it is going to happen. There were rumors that CN was going to be the railroad to get DM&E and IC&E, and those weren't right, so just because there are a few rumors floating around doesn't mean its going to happen.
If you knew the potiential of money to be made and what it does make on an average basis, you wouldn't blame them for splurging a little. Besides, what takes a regular interchange 48hrs+ going into Chicago, can be done in less than 6hrs using the EJ&E. It would be a direct route around the Great Lakes for the CN. It has to be worth something.
bufftbone wrote:some of the bonuses for the CN in them purchasing them but also pointed out that they would have to redo, add and change a lot of the track and the way it was run to really be effective for CN. Getting rid of track warrents and updating the signal systems were something else he pointed out that needed to be done.
Well I think anybody can run it better!! :P Now all the upgrading that would need to be done, that might cost more than it's worth!! :-D

#444759  by CN_Hogger

How much is the Carnegie Pension worth? Wouldn't the CN have to buy it out(atleast for the J employees) if they purchased the J?

#444936  by J hogger

Carnigie works very simple. Put the time in and collect big cash. Problem: When the CN bought the Bessemer and Missabe, they had the steel pension too. From what I understand, they still haven't straightened out how it will work. It might get frozen like it did when U S Steel spun off all their transportation lines when Transtar was created in 1988. I've heard too much to what could happen and not what will happen.

#445817  by Blutorse4792

I really hope this isn't true. I can't stand Class Is swallowing up short lines, ESPECIALLY the EJ&E.

#446100  by CN_Hogger

I heard yesterday at work that E. Hunter is in town all week, so there might be an official announcement coming up...

#449597  by CPSmith

Done deal. It's in the Globe & Mail this morning.

#449737  by bufftbone

Dear EJ&E employees, start saying your good byes to any management you are fond of because their days are numbered.

#450219  by Clique of One

bufftbone wrote:Dear EJ&E employees, start saying your good byes to any management you are fond of because their days are numbered.
That is an entirely correct statement. Employee/Management relations will now become adversarial. Every day will become a nightmare. A hell on earth.

After E.H. Harrison and his gang showed up to ruin, I mean run the Canadian National Railways up here in Canada, I made my mind up to retire at 55. If it wasn't for the IC's (International Circus) way of treating the employees I may have stuck around for a few more years since I still enjoyed my job on the Signal Department. But after 37 years of steady employment, the 'New CN' was not my cup of tea. :(
So for the sake of my health and pension I made the decision to get out while getting out at 55 was still an option. Yet I feel so bad for the guys I left behind. :(

#451864  by J hogger

I think everybody knows what the CN thinks of their hard working, exhausted employees. On the other hand, I also know what most of us think of the CN managerial turds. :P I hope the "J" guys realize that they are in for a culture shock! :wink:

note: edited to remove off-topic quotes - KV