Railroad Forums 

• Bad paint!

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#312111  by CN9634

I think what hes trying to say is in a short period of time the paint has faded fast, which is uncharacteristic of normal paintjobs.

#312276  by U-Haul

That is exactly what I am typing CN9634.

#312390  by pennsy

Hi All,

Looks like someone was trying to save some money and got caught.

Bright colors will fade with time, and the shininess will start to go flat. Depending on the route and the weather it can also get gritty. As the quality of the paint goes up, so does the weatherability, and as the quality of the pigments go up so does the durability of the colors. How much of a budget do they have to work with per engine re-paint job ?

Have you ever noticed that the re-paint job on your car doesn't last as long as the factory supplied paint job that came with the car ?

#312772  by trainiac

That really is pretty astounding! I've seen paint fade, but not like that and not in 8 months! It looks like the finish doesn't hold up to the weather at all, since it's only on the front that it's faded.

Interestingly, I've seen, as recently as 2 years ago, M420W's from 1976 in their original colours that are no more faded than the first photo of SD75i 5754.

#312866  by ENR3870

On the rare occasion that CN washes a locomotive, they still use the same detergent to cut oil and grease that turns the red to pink.

#313117  by lock4244

This seems to be a problem that affects the SD75I fleet (not sure about the SD70I fleet, but I can't recall seeing any with badly faded paint). Likely just lower quality paint. I don't think the Dash-9's delivered around the same timeframe as the SD75I's have this problem.

Edit: I stand corrected, CN SD70I 5600's red nose looks like crap. Actually, it seems most of them look awful.

ENR3870, every time it rains, CN locomotives get washed :wink:

#313162  by CN_Hogger

They actually do wash some units at Woodcrest at Markham(Chicago) but since they don't scrub them at all it really doesn't do much.