Railroad Forums 

• Question Brass American Locomotive Co Builders Plates Shapes

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#606316  by railcrazy

I have a question about the AMERICAN LOCOMOTIVE COMPANY Builders plates that were made of brass. Either SCHENECTADY WORKS,BROOKS WORKS,RHODE ISLAND WORKS,COOKE WORKS,or PITTSBURGH WORKS. Circa approximately: 1905 thru 1925 vintage plates.

Were the ones that were cast in brass completely flat on the back to mount on the boiler or were they slightly curved to accommodate the boiler for mounting?Please let me know,Thanks.
 #606563  by santafeboy

These plates were generally curved to fit the boiler however I have a 1919 Cooke plate off an Argentinian 4-6-2 that is flat although there are raised lugs spaced around the edges to facilitate a flat mounting to the boiler the smaller 4x9 Alco plates that were used primarily on industrial steam locomotives are usually flat as they were not attached to the boiler in most cases