Railroad Forums 

• EDDYSTONE - - -

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#445264  by hankadam

My father was the keeper of the Eddystone Light.
He slept with a mermaid one fine night.
From the union there came three.
A porpoise and a porgy and the other was me.

#445438  by Allen Hazen

Now, Hank, does your mother know you are posting things like that on the internet? (Grin!)
---
On another Eddystone matter... I posted something (I think to a string that started with a question about what Lima diesels sounded like) that I'm not sure of: I was extrapolating from something John Kirkland said in "Dawn of the Diesel Age." Am I right that, when Baldwin took over De la Vergne, D. had a plant somewhere else in the Philadelphia area, and that Baldwin moved engine production to Eddystone after the takeover?

#446903  by hankadam

Allen: Please don't tell my mother - - - she hated Eddystone when my father was in-charge!
Basically De La Vergne was a NYC Company, In 1918 the business was purchased by the William Cramp & Sons Ship and Engine Building Company. In the fall of 1928 all De La Vergne operations were moved into the Philadelphia shops of I. P. Morris, a Cramp subsidiary, later part of the Baldwin Locomotive Works, and later, again, consolidated at the sprawling Eddystone Works.
Allen: Please send me your mail address, again - - - I have an old Baldwin-Southwark magazine, from 1936, that I can copy and mail to you with detailed history. I am [email protected]. Take care, Hank
 #874910  by Allen Hazen

So De la Vergne was a NEW YORK company? Maybe they had a plant in the Bronx: on the New Haven forum, in string about electric switchers and electrified sidings, there has recently been a mention of a "De la Vergne" track: an electrified (well, electrified before WW II) siding or branch or..., near the Bronx end of the Hell Gate Bridge: until someone tells me otherwise, I'm betting that it was the spur that had originally led to the original De la Vergne plant.