Railroad Forums 

• Baldwin Whitcomb RS-4-TC-1A military auction

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#181337  by Hoosier Joe

Has anyone ever seen one of these in operation or ran one ? I am curious how they compare to the 35 Ton GE we use at work in terms of hauling capacity. Our GE has been re-engined with a 275 HP Cat and has double reduction gearing. Thanks , Joe
 #195275  by clutch

The bids have closed on these two units. 4034 sold for $ 70,000.00 and the 4020 went for $ 71,000.00 each.
 #613908  by Cascade Northern

Hoosier Joe wrote:Has anyone ever seen one of these in operation or ran one ? I am curious how they compare to the 35 Ton GE we use at work in terms of hauling capacity. Our GE has been re-engined with a 275 HP Cat and has double reduction gearing. Thanks , Joe
Joe, I am a RS4-TC fireman on the Snoqualmie Valley Railroad (http://www.trainmuseum.org)in Snoqualmie, WA. We operate ex-US Army #4012 and #4024. I must say that I absolutly love those locomotives. Not much of what we have can stop these things. If you come to Snoqualmie this Saturday, 20 Dec 08, or on the weekends from April on, we will be running them for normal tourist operations. I have never run a GE 35 tonner, so I cannot say about the hauling comparision. But, we normally operate with one RS4-TC and pull four heavyweaight coaches, and the RS4-TC handles this easily.