Railroad Forums 

• CLCX 9697 (DRS 4-4-1500)

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#1259750  by yellowdog

Hello,

Looking for any information on this loco (at last count, a cabless slug). Was photo'ed back in 2003 working the Rayonier wood mill in Barnesville, GA. I think I found it on Google Maps (satellite) in the mill yard but can't be sure.

Anyone know if it is still active?

Cheers.
 #1303593  by yellowdog

I guess I found the answer to my own question in Train Orders.

According to "georgiaroad:"

"The unit was originally a Baldwin roadswitcher DRS type unit. It had its cab removed and became a slug with its trucks changed out with FBs from an old ALCO RS. Later the slug was acquired by a West Virginia coal prep plant. They put a Cummins engine in part of the chopped hood to power one truck and set it up for remote control. They even closed in the right step-well and made it a makeshift "cab."

Not sure why the term bug-slug is used to classify it. This is what Extra2200 South called it when they made mention of its move from Virginia to the Middle Georgia chipper plant. The plant has two parallell spurs pulling off the end of a wye. They use the bug slug to pull the chip cars under the loader. When NS picks up the loaded woodchip cars, they pilot the bug slug onto the leg of the wye opposite the one NS uses to switch it out, thereby getting it out of the way. The whole series of tracks at that operation are on a high fill, so I guess they could not use a trackmobile and due to safety concerns did not want a cable "car-puller." That is pure speculation, but makes sense. I am sure the bug slug was a much cheaper alternative to a brand new trackmobile."

The unit was sighted and photo'ed still operational as of August 2011.
 #1326107  by yellowdog

This just in. From local trainwatcher "georgiaroad:"

"It (CLCX 9697) is still there. Talked to an NS engineer a week or so ago and he said it is now working for Georgia Chips. It is just north of Barnesville going north on the old CofGA between Macon and Atlanta. If you get some updated pictures, I sure would like some!"

Anyone from this forum live in or travel through that area?