Railroad Forums 

• Baldwin Steam

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#403  by CarterB

Off again to the glorious days of huff n puff!!
Let's get those steam posts goin'!!
 #2094  by steamal

Anyone remember #4501? As I recall, she was a Baldwin, built in 1910. If I got any of that wrong, please let me know.
 #2351  by CarterB

I rember SRwy's 4501 Baldwin Mikado, that ran many a fine excursion train throughout the East. I particularly remember a trip I was on in early 1970's over the Rock from Chicago to Bureau IL. I believe 4501 is now at the TVRM in Chattanooga. Not sure if operable, though.

#2376  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Static display..... :(
 #39150  by dockmaster

Does anyone know of a source of information regarding where Baldwin steam locos are still operating in foreign countries? A number went to Mexico and several South American countries - right?

It would be helpful in tracking down any usable Baldwins that might be for sale and could possibly be brought back to the States, I'm thinking...

Then again, boiler rebuilds to operate in the US could be lots of $$$

Stan Underwood
[email protected]

#39374  by ACLfan

RE: Getting Baldwin steam locos from Mexico.

That's what Walt Disney did in the 1960's! The 4 steam locos that pull the trains around the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World near Orlando, FL were acquired from a railroad on Mexico's Yucatan peninsula, and rebuilt to burn oil for steam instead of wood. They were built by Baldwin in 1916, 1925, and two in 1928. And, they are stilll working hard, with two in active service each day.

ACLfan
 #39376  by dreamer

At last reports, the Guayaquil & Quito Railway in Ecuador has five servicable Baldwin steamers including the last two narrow guage steam locomotives built by BLH in 1953. The railroads of Guatemela and Cuba have some. Any Baldwin steam still operating around the world is nearly always some sort of narrow guage.
 #39567  by dockmaster

Dreamer-
That's amazing how you have access to info on where the Baldwins are! It would be great to be able to know if any of those Baldwin ex-patriots are up for sale. Anyone have access to that kind of info???

Dockmaster
 #44831  by dreamer

Trains Magazine carried a story on the G&Q in Equador in the July 2004 issue, and covered Guatemela's railroad a few months ago. The servicable steam locomotives are busy hauling tourists and not likely for sale. There could be others in their boneyard that are available. I just saw a post today that says the Cuban government is putting 55 steamers up for sale, all American made but one. Supposedly the sale is being handled by a Spanish preservation group. Not much details yet, and it remains to be seen if that is for real. At any rate, U.S. citizens cannot legally buy them (at least not directly).

#49882  by Jos

I have a round Baldwin Number Sign which reads: Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia USA, with a big number '2' in the center.
(suppossedly) the engine was purchased by The Porto Rico Sugar Trading Company around 1909 or near, and shipped to Puerto Rico around 1911.
I am not sure of those dates.

In Puerto Rico, all trains stopped running in 1957. Venezuela bought the Puerto Rican people trains around 1960 I have been told. I don't know about the sugar plantation or the cargo trains. Actually, I don't know much about the trains of Puerto Rico except for photographs I have and which can be found online.

I am trying to confirm the Code on the rear Hub of my Number Sign,
which supposedly has a connection to the PRSTC of Puerto Rico.

But I do not want to publish this Code or post it publicly. for good reasons, so how can I find out what it means? Is there anyone that has knowledge of the Export Codes stamped on the rear of Number Signs?

thanks anyone.
Jos

#136152  by Gunns

Well, Santa Fe 3751 is opperating in California, and we are busy spinning wrenches in New Mexico getting 2926 ready to run....
http://www.nmrhs.org/

Gunns
 #815852  by ExCon90

I just saw the February 2010 issue of Today's Railways, published in England, which contains a story about former SNCF Mikado 141 R 568, now owned by an English entrepreneur who has put together a 10-car excursion train of restored and reconfigured Swiss coaches for excursion service. The locomotive was built by Baldwin in November 1945 and shipped to France in April 1946 as part of the well-known export order. It was stored after January 1960 and withdrawn by SNCF in June 1974; it has been the property of various owners since then. Restoration was accomplished with the aid of engineers from Wasatch Railroad Contractors of Cheyenne, Wyo., because of their familiarity with the locomotive's auxiliaries, which were all of American design and manufacture. It pulled an excursion on the weekend of December 12-13, 2009(!), and more excursions are planned in 2010. According to the story, there are five other 141 Rs preserved in operating condition, as well as three others which are stored inoperable, owned by various organizations and kept at a number of locations in France and Switzerland. Of the five which are operable, there is one, also in Switzerland, which is also being groomed for excursion service in 2010. The story also states that these locomotives were much liked in France because of low maintenance.
 #815899  by Allen Hazen

Re: "these locomotives were much liked in France because of low maintenance."
French-designed locomotives tended to be more fuel-efficient and (probably) more powerful for their size, but were much more complicated (multi-cylinder compounds, sometimes with poppet valves and/or controls that allowed the engineer to control high and low pressure valve events separately). Supposedly (I'm remmembering stuff I read years and years ago) Chapelon supervised modifications to the 141R after their delivery to improve their perhormance/efficiency. But in the last years of French steam (SNCF used steam in mailnle service well into the 1960s i.i.r.c.) steam maintenance fell off (sound familiar?) and the 141R lasted betterr than the native products.
--
I wonder which North American builders are represented by the five that have been preserved in operable condition.
 #816195  by ExCon90

I wonder which North American builders are represented by the five that have been preserved in operable condition.[/quote]
The magazine listed the numbers; I can look it up later and post it if you have a means of tracking them back to the builder.
 #816557  by ExCon90

Mr. Hazen:

The following, from the February 2101 Today's Railways, is a list of 6 operable and 3 non-operable 141R locomotives
(141R420 and -568 burn coal, the others oil):

In running order
420 - at Clermont-Ferrand on SNCF (Association 141R420)
568 - at Schaffhausen (Switzerland) (former SBB depot)
840 - at Les Aubrais (Orleans) on SNCF (AAATV)
1126- at Toulouse on SNCF (Trainvapeur de Toulouse)
1199- at Nantes on SNCF (Association Loco Vapeur R1199)
1244- at Brugg (Switzerland) (Club Mikado, being prepared for excursions in summer 2010)

Stored, not in running order
1108- at Breil-sur-Roya (Ecomusee du Haut Pays)
1187- at Mulhouse (Cite du Train, National Railway Museum)
1298- at Miramas, SNCF (APPAF)

(I apologize for the missing accent marks--I can't do those on a computer.)