Railroad Forums 

• Snow on the Gateway Sub

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#85709  by oregontrunkline

Does anyone out there know if the rotary snowplow is still stationed at Westwood, and if so if it was used in the heavy snow of early January?

#85981  by AmtrakFan

Well they had a Derailment in Bieder, CA a few days ago.

John

#86028  by GN 599

The rotary is still at Westwood with the ex-NP F-7B. They have had a plow crew working since new years eve but with the Jordan. They had the covered wagon fired up the other day though. As for the wreck at about 4 am saturday morning a northbound went into the house track at Bieber at 40mph, over the derail into a string of standing cars. All six of the trains locomotives were scattered along with about the head 15 to 20 cars or so. Among the units were involved were the BNSF 130, 7226,4081 but I cant remember the rest off hand. The engineer, who I just worked with the other day suffered from a fractured back and the conductor suffered from a compressed disc not to mention the beating they took, their motor ended up laying on the firemans side. The cause of the derailment was because someone left the switch open. They dont know who left it open but there are a possible suspects. I just got back from the yard office and saw the pics, they got pretty lucky. There was supposed to be a crew deadheading in the sixth unit, which incidently was facing south and had a car come in the cab pretty much, they wouldnt of had a chance.

#86407  by oregontrunkline

Yikes! Cleanup must have been atrocious, given what I've heard about the snow; or was it as bad there as higher up? How long was the line closed?

#86867  by GN 599

There's probably around a foot and a half or so at Bieber, it hasnt snowed in a while but its been real cold. Im not sure how much is up on top right now but I'd guess several feet.