Railroad Forums 

• IA-Funded Crossovers on BN

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#916003  by twropr

Last year the state of Iowa received some ARRA money to fund installation of some power switches on the Ottumwa Sub. The goal was to improve the operation of Amtrak's CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR so that it could get out of the way of slow moving unit coal trains over this mostly double-track ABS railroad.
Does anyone have any details on this project as to where new interlockings went into service and whether there is now CTC between any of the interlockings

Thanks!
 #935433  by Engineer Spike

In the late 90s, they were resignaling the line for bidirectional running. Before that, it was current of traffic. It seemed like CTC would be the next step. As of now, the line has ABS for running on both tracks, in both directions. There are some small islands of CTC, such as through Burlington, which I was told was extended from Conett, to somewhere between Gladstone, and Biggsville. The other island was Maxon to Halpin.
 #935463  by Rockingham Racer

Engineer Spike wrote:In the late 90s, they were resignaling the line for bidirectional running. Before that, it was current of traffic. It seemed like CTC would be the next step. As of now, the line has ABS for running on both tracks, in both directions. There are some small islands of CTC, such as through Burlington, which I was told was extended from Conett, to somewhere between Gladstone, and Biggsville. The other island was Maxon to Halpin.
East of Burlington, there's a recently installed CP 1896, a few miles east of Gladstone, and CTC was extended east from Connett to there. Not many, many miles, but it's better than nothing.

I've heard nothing about the other three places I mentioned earlier. I heard those were to be paid for by IDOT.
 #1027537  by twropr

I learned that CP 3818 was placed in service on Feb. 8. It is a universal crossover. CTC was also placed in effect within interlocking limits, MP 381,7-381,9. All this is on BNSF/s Ottumwa Sub.

Andy