Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Roster Distribution

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#904787  by KSmitty

I'm from Maine, never been further west than Springfield MA, so if I sound uniformed, you know why...

I'm just wondering how BNSF uses power.

1) About how many locomotives does BNSF currently have in PRB coal service? I assume that most are SD70MACs with some ACe's and ES44AC's thrown in for flavor?
2) About how many locomotives does BNSF currently have in unit grain service?
3) Does BNSF separate intermodal power from general freight service? If so how many are in IM service? I assume that this service is mostly dominated by DC locomotives, with newer power running on IM and older power handling general freight?
4) How many locomotives does BNSF roster? (I remember various reports put the number over 6K, but with the bad economy, and new locomotives replacing old at 4:3 or better, I'm hoping for an update)

Thanks from Maine!
 #905090  by GN 599

I dont know the exact numbers but you have it nailed. Generally speaking coal trains=AC power. Everything else is DC. Older power (spartan cab stuff SD40-2's and Geeps) handle locals, road switchers and yard assignments. Out here in the Northwest they have been running SD40-2's and Geeps on drag freights between Vancouver WA and Pasco WA and sometimew up to Spokane WA as we have begun to experience a locomotive shortage. When I hired out in 01 we had SD9's, SW1000's, SW1200's and SW1500's working the yards. Now its SD40-2's, GP38-2's, GP39E's M's and V's and GP39-2's. SD40-2's for switch engines, who would have thunk it?
 #907185  by XBNSFer

Actually, the AC/DC lines of demarcation are changing a bit. The newest thing is ES44C4's, which are A-1-A with two traction motors per truck on 3 axle trucks, and they are AC traction. Basically, the idea is you get tractive effort like a 6-motor DC unit with 4 AC motors, and get reduced traction motor maintenance benefits of the AC motors. BNSF seems to be pleased with them, and if they continue to be pleased, then you might not see any ore DC orders for road power for BNSF.