Railroad Forums 

• BN Adlake "Cannonball?" lamp: can't find info???

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#832143  by DennisT

Hope this isn't a bit off topic, however, I was given a like new switch lamp by a retired BN B&B employee. It appears it was a new lamp case that was never assembled, (spare part likely). Looking up Adlake lamps, it appears to be a Cannonball by it's fully round shape with cast base that accepts a rectangular shaft or will sit on flat surface. Unlike the, "Reflex," lamps that had, "no," insides and depended on reflection to work, this has a hinged top held fast by a 1/2 inch hex bolt. Interior has four flat-metal spring clips that must mean it had some interior. It has no lens or lens couplings rings. Lens dia. is 5 3/8 dia. I realize these are not ancient in age and I suspect many were electric illumination on the railroads by then.

I've had virtually no luck doing searches on line to find what interior is proper for this lamp. The Adlake web site also was no help.

Can anyone point me to a source for information or have a photo of the inside if this lamp??? I told the gentleman that gave this to me I intended to complete it. I have a few other RR lamps and a lifetime of various pursuits, but have no experience with these particular lamps.

Thanks,
Dennis
Odessa/Ritzville, E. WA state