Railroad Forums 

• Difference between BNSF and UP in Nebraska

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#822088  by WigWagX

On a recent trip throughout Nebraska, I observed an inexplicable disparity between the BNSF and UP tracks along the highways.

On the BNSF mainlines there were boxes of various sizes on straight stretches either between the rails, multiple tracks, or on the side. Presumably they are there for detection of train operations, safety, etc. Immediately adjacent to these metal boxes, there would be what appears to be two or three propane gas tanks. What is the purpose of the propane gas tanks?

The reason for the question UP also has the same type metal boxes scattered along their mainlines throughout the state, but NEVER any propane gas tanks nearby. Why doesn't the UP have propane gas tanks?
 #829567  by hamdizle

Rockingham Racer wrote:Which begs the question: how does UP keep switches thawed, exactly?
Well I'm not sure exactly but I think there are heating elements all around the switch to keep it thawed and clear of snow and ice....and the elements are fueled by propane....that way trains don't have to stop to throw the switch.....I'm a yard guy so I don't see them very often so I might not be 100%