Railroad Forums 

• Is this a Snowplow? In south Louisiana?

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#59355  by SRS125

Lets just agree that spreaders have many uses and can do many diffrent jobs.
 #60609  by Delta

Klamb wrote:A 200,000 lbs train has no problem cutting a 3 foot ditch into just about anything without a derail problem.
A Jordan spreader does not weigh 200,000 lbs. But then what do I know? I've only actually used them.

#60610  by Delta

SRS125 wrote:Lets just agree that spreaders have many uses and can do many diffrent jobs.
Yes, they have a few different common uses.

#63348  by GN 599

That one looks alot like the one we have on the Hi-line at Westwood CA. There is alot of snowfall there and it stands guard with an old GN rotary with an old NP F7-B as a power plant. I worked a plow extra with a BN spreader it was pretty neat. All we did was clear out a siding and the roadmaster authorized us for 20m.p.h in a 10 m.p.h. siding which was also cool. As the brakeman I had to ride back in it as there were no turning facilities. At 45 on jointed rail it was a pretty rough ride but smoothed out on the ribbon rail. It even had a Nathan air horn which ran off the trainline that I was able to have some fun with at grade crossings. :-D

#63363  by railroadjeep

GN 599 wrote: an old GN rotary with an old NP F7-B as a power plant.
That wouldnt by chance be the one that used to be stationd at the Interbay Roundhouse is it? I've been wondering where that rotary went too....