Railroad Forums 

• FRA Approves the next step on ETMS

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#345711  by git a holt to it

One step closer to one man crews.

The rest of this can be found on BNSF's emplyee website.

January 8, 2007
The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and BNSF announced today, Jan. 8, FRA's approval of BNSF’s Product Safety Plan (PSP) to allow BNSF to begin implementing the Electronic Train Management System (ETMS) on portions of its network.
Last edited by git a holt to it on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

#346534  by route_rock

Now just what the hell is going on here lol!! THey started pulling ETMS units that were BO and not replacing them. Was also told they were dumping ETMS cause the FRA said they didnt approve of it (someone got a pay off and change their mind?!?!?!) as it wasnt tried true and tested.
I remember the last time the BN put this on their site the FRA blasted them. Time will tell if they do the same.But who knows this is crazy times and until it happens I am not going to hold my breath.

#348447  by Rockingham Racer

I read on the NARP website that the technology is going to be implemented on 37 routes, or route segments. Any BNSF guys have the dope as to where these might be? I couldn't find any details on the BNSF website.
 #352125  by DrawbarFlats

git a holt to it wrote:One step closer to one man crews.

January 8, 2007
The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and BNSF announced today, Jan. 8, FRA's approval of BNSF’s Product Safety Plan (PSP) to allow BNSF to begin implementing the Electronic Train Management System (ETMS) on portions of its network.
Back in the 30's some ''old heads'' used to laugh about an ugly thing called the diesel locomotive, ''won't work'', they would sometimes say.

Back in the 80's some ''old heads'' used to laugh about the idea of getting rid of the caboose, ''won't work'', they would sometimes say.

Not too long ago, some of us would laugh about the idea of RCO's, ''won't work'', we would sometimes say.

ETMS??? Scary times for us railroaders.
 #352808  by git a holt to it

DrawbarFlats wrote:
git a holt to it wrote:One step closer to one man crews.

January 8, 2007
Back in the 30's some ''old heads'' used to laugh about an ugly thing called the diesel locomotive, ''won't work'', they would sometimes say.

Back in the 80's some ''old heads'' used to laugh about the idea of getting rid of the caboose, ''won't work'', they would sometimes say.

Not too long ago, some of us would laugh about the idea of RCO's, ''won't work'', we would sometimes say.

ETMS??? Scary times for us railroaders.
Scary indeed brother.

#357063  by Hawko

This in response to Rockingham Racer's question. According to a company news release; BNSF is planning on implementing ETMS between Arkansas City, KS & Fort Worth, TX sometime in 2007.

#357179  by DrawbarFlats

I have heard from other railroaders who continue to say, ''one man crews will never happen and that there will always be two crew members in the cab''.

For those that might think it will never happen (one man crews) think again.

For years, both Amtrak, Metrolink and other commuter trains here in Southern California have operated with just one crew member in the cab.
And to top it off, these trains haul a more precious cargo----------PASSENGERS.

What makes some believe that the railroads will not do the same with freight?
Just as a yard has a herder, the road will have a ''utillity man'' to assist in switching or other duties.

I don't know how other railroads promote to engineer or if some are forced----------either way, don't even think about passing up engine service when the time comes. If one is wanting to make the railroad a life long career ya better do it for job security.

Gonna be some BIG CHANGES in the next few years.

Was not too long ago when we all laughed at the idea of RCO.

#357834  by git a holt to it

Those that say they'll never have one man crews are the same type of railroaders that said you can't run trains without a caboose, where are those waycars now? :(