Railroad Forums 

• Matt Rose visit 9/12 ("Capacity Crisis?")

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

#288091  by Tadman

Matt Rose will be speaking at KU on 9/12, and I will post a report. It's free to the public if you're in the area.

(Post and Thread title (and no other content) edited by Komachi on October 14, 2006 at 11:48pm CDT.)

#294175  by Tadman

Update -
Rose is an excellent public speaker, for the most part putting together a presentation easily understandable by the laypeople populating a university. Even if some of the numbers and ideas may have been over the head of most present, the general gist of the presentation was very obvious and well said. The focus was on our looming transportation capacity crisis, not only on the railroads but roads as well. Unfortunately, I consider myself somewhat brighter than the average university student in regards to the railroads, so the presentation included nothing earth-shaking to me. Overall, Rose is two thumbs up.

#304265  by freshmeat

Let's remember two things.

First, the transportation "crisis" is brought on by carriers abandoning their small customer base such as the elevator in Western Kansas that now is required to truck wheat to a terminal because BNSF doesn't want to mess with less than 100 car grain trains. Look at all the rail that carriers have abandoned over the years.

Second, if Corporate America were not so hell bent on profit at any cost, we would still manufacture much of what is consumed in this country, here. Not China.

Simply put, if the system melts down, it will be at their own hands. Too bad the country will have to pay the price.

#306316  by Tadman

No, if the system melts down, it will be our own hands. Walmart, with their foreign-sourced products, stays in business because we shop their. Corporate america is hell-bent on profit because we, the stockholders, demand returns. Even if you don't play the market, your 401k likely holds shares of one company or another.

Further, the system is as far from melting down as it's been in a long time. Meltdown occured between 1965 and 1975. We act like there's a big problem because UP's problems with integrating SP, etc... are the biggest we've seen in a while.

Finally, the decisions of a corporation are made by humans, just like you and I, and we should refrain from acting as if the corporation is a mind of it's own. If unprofitable decisions are made, the boss will remove those responsible. If enough bad decisions are made, the stockholders will demand removal of the boss. Do you want your 401k drying up? Neither do I, so I demand it invest in the best companies around, and those companies compete ferociously to be the best around.
 #306336  by Komachi

(There is a growing "rumbling" sound that crescednoes with the approach of several hundred fire approatai. Your moderator emerges from the lone Ford Crown Victoria, clad in firefighter's gear. He reaches in and grabs the CB microphone and switches the transciver to "PA...")

Alright, ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to give you a little leeway to discuss this topic, as long as it pretains to the economics of railroading and the "preceived" capacity crisis. You may use examples outside of the realm of railroading for your examples, but you must somehow tie the whole argument back to the topic at hand. Remember to state your arguments clearly and logically and if this degenerates into a flame war, we will judiciously unleash the high-pressure cannons and douse this thread in water and flame retardant and I will apply one of my "magic locks" to it.

This topic has been discussed time and again on the Amtrak forum (in regards to how the lack of track capcity is what hurts Amtrak's on-time performance), however, it is more relative to the discussion of the operation of a freight railroad and I will therefore allow the discussion to continue. DO NOT MAKE ME REGRET THIS DECISION.

Now, you may RESPECTFULLY continue the discussion. Just remember, I am watching. That is all.

#306475  by route_rock

Well capacity isnt an issue on some lines. Mendota sub has very little traffic compared to the Chilli side. You can ride a Z from Ft MAd to Joliet in about 3 hours and then die outside willow or at Nerska tower. If you want to get rid of the capacity problems you do what BNSF is doing by adding tracks, but you also add employees. You dont just try to stretch them thinner and thinner and then put up general notices that threaten people when they lay off. If your crews are running every 10 hours and thats the pool turns its no wonder they want a day off every now and then. So the company cries and gets people off boards that are not qualified and then you have more problems because they run slow as they dont really know the line as well.
You want to move trains get more people and run more trains. Yards are plugged cause some think the more cars on a trian the better so lets wait for that 4 hour and getting later train to get in the yard. Not my idea of fluid.

#306939  by Tadman

I agree with the lack of employees problem, and I know at least UP is going on a hiring binge - when I went to see 844 last month, they gave me the sales pitch about working for the railroad. I don't know what the status is of BNSF hiring policy.

#307186  by route_rock

BNSF has been hiring but they have also been cutting jobs and crying about the yard not moving as fast ( well when you remove a train per shift what do you expect????)
But old Matt wants stuff cut and the bottom line bigger. SO lets cut more people and wonder why we have trains in sidings or out on the main line waiting for a rested crew that isnt even on the board to cover that train or line. You know guys that are not working 5 days a week in the yard dont go toa board with a guarentee, so you miss 2 days you lose 2 days pay. Yard jobs are low anyway so if these guys get fed up they will leave ( I know I would) and now your stuck in the spot you were with too few people, leading to a melt down. We had a meltdown here once last year. Meltdowns happen a lot it seems.

#376569  by XBNSFer

Capacity issues have a common cause - the government's (mainly federal, but states did their share of damage as well) meddling in this nation's transportation system in a lopsided fashion, i.e., the sinking of hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars into highways and aviation, while simultaneously continuing to treat railroads as if they held a transport monopoly, heavily taxing their rights of way and terminal facililities, and forcing them to continue unprofitable services that in the majority of cases were rendered unprofitable by the very same lopsided transport policies. Only AFTER the government's policies succeeded in bankrupting half of the eastern rail network, and after much of the damage was done in terms of abandonment of rail capacity (in the name of "rationalization," in this case the abandonment of efficient transport, i.e., rail, in favor of government-subsidized highway and aviation transport, which would not have taken hold without the government's stupid lopsided policies), did the government finally act to restore some portion of balance (to the freight portion of the equation, mainly) through deregulation, taxpayer funding of repairs to the ruined northeast rail network (i.e., Conrail) and unloading of unprofitable passenger operations from the private rail carriers.

I recall not so long ago, during the (thank goodness) ill-fated SPSF merger talks/approval process, even Trains magazine parroting the stupid conventional wisdom of the time that the merger would allow "rationalization" of the two railroad's networks since the rail system was "overbuilt, even out west." I never believed the railroad network was seriously overbuilt (underutilized, maybe; overbuilt - no way). While there were perhaps some exceptions (i.e., CNJ/LV side-by-side into the Lehigh Gorge fighting for the same old anthracite coal traffic), the main trunk lines could have all been filled with traffic IF they survived until deregulation, reduced crews, and yes, the flood of international container traffic. Instead, due to the necessary (at the time) paring back of the system (because you pay taxes on your railroad whether you use it or not, while truckers don't have to fret over paying property taxes on the interstates, nor airlines on the airports, if they aren't using those facilities to capacity, nor need they fear the abandonment or reduction of capacity of such systems during periods of light use), now it will require more taxpayer money to rebuild capacity that in many places existed historically. There were other contributing factors, notably the rail union featherbedding, 100-mile "days" etc., but the background of infrastructure-provided-for-free competition was the gasoline making the fire.

Yes, we're also seeing capacity added that wasn't previously ripped out, but how many train photos do you look at that are single track lines that used to be two main tracks? Nothing makes me happier than to see 2nd (and even 3rd and 4th) tracks added to main lines in this country, but I wish our policies could have gotten intelligent in time to save other perfectly viable through routes (can anyone say Erie Lackawanna? Milwaukee Pacific Coast Extension?) before they became unfortunate victims to stupid, shortsighted government policy and stupid, shortsighted railroad labor unions' insistence on paid do-nothings riding on every train (and all of a crew's members getting paid a day's pay for a horse-and-buggy era's 100 miles traveled, even if it only took 2 hours to cover that distance).